The Land Yacht - '68 Sport Fury Convertible build

Maybe I can try that today after work.
This is also a good way to check the flow of the coolant in the system. you should be able to see good circulation in the radiator. I had a head gasket go on a 1983 fifth avenue with a 318. Build up so much pressure it blew out the front of the radiator.

there is a tester to check the cap
th?id=OIP.IhS_6rtqK1Z5aG51GAKWcAHaG9&pid=15.jpg

or substitute a known working one.
there should be two types of cap one for use with an overflow jug and one without. the one with allows coolant to be sucked back into the radiator from the jug.

I can rent the tester from the local auto store. I'll call the company and ask about the cap whether its meant for an overflow jug. I also noticed with another search that auto parts stores sell both 16lb and 13lb caps for my car with the 13lb designated for non A/C. I don't have A/C so maybe that is also a factor here?

I also need to let the car run and see if it overheats at idle. I've never let it sit long enough to honestly know. I spoke to my AMC engine guy and he said he had this happen to a 390 AMX he built a year or so ago. Turned out the head bolts on one side weren't torqued down correctly so once pressure built up in the motor coolant was getting in a cylinder. This could explain why the oil looks fine.

I appreciate the suggestions on how to move forward. Hopefully this is due to something other than a head gasket...

Last edited:
17' Derale electric fan purchased. I also went ahead and purchased a complete wiring kit from KwikWire. Lots of work ahead. I will document as I go.

Back