The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

Pic's of this process????

So you want pictures. . . Huh? Well here ya go:

Here is the 440 bracket I received from Murray. Fits perfectly.

IMG_20180908_110844385.jpg

IMG_20180908_110859478.jpg

As you can see, the two brackets are quite different.

IMG_20180908_114647257.jpg

During my quest for a clutch hub puller, I found an E-Pay ad that had one more day to go. It was for a Snap-On puller kit, and the current bid was $32.00. I put in my max bid, and won the auction for $42.50. I tried the tap-tap of the hub to get it to fall off in my crotch or on my foot, but I got no where with that technique. . .

IMG_20180908_110938893.jpg

IMG_20180908_110953804.jpg

As you can see, the puller kit came with few directions, so it took a while to figure out which arbor and nut to use.

IMG_20180908_133750207_HDR.jpg

But in the end, I figured it out. . . And VIOLA!

IMG_20180908_140336896.jpg

Sorry for the silence this past week regarding the clutch hub. We took off a week and went to Newport, RI with the Chrysler 300 Club. Here are a few pictures we took:

This is the entry gate at the Breakers mansion that was the summer cottage for the Vanderbilts.
174.JPG

Side entrance looking out to the sea. . .
177.JPG

The foyer. . .
180.JPG

The living room?
191.JPG

Cruise to Fort Adams. . .
211.JPG

216.JPG

Continued the cruise to Jamestown.
237.JPG

172.JPG

213.JPG

Looks like an awesome trip, count me in on some of theses cool 300 trips in 10 years, when my wife retires from teaching. Glad things are coming together for you.

Great find on the puller, looks like a high quality piece. You are correct the brackets are quite different in length. I can definitely see how you wouldn't have realized the difference until you installed them, because of their similarities.

Last edited:
Thank you sir for the pic's:thumbsup: do you have it painted yet??? By the way you stole the puller set for $42.50. I don't remember what my boss paid when he got the same set a few years back, but I know for sure it wasn't that cheap.

I found the new set from Snap on, it has one other tool to hold the pulley, but you get the idea on the price. I am sure it would be higher if it came off the truck rather then ordering direct from Snap on

Kit, Puller/Installer, Air Conditioning

Thanks for the info. Before I put in a bid on Snap-On puller, I checked all the similar Chinese kits on Amazon and elsewhere. They looked like a good deal, but the reviews indicated poor quality. Someone once told me: "Always buy the best. You will never be unhappy with it." I'm just really glad I got the Snap-On puller for about the same price as the el cheapos.

I found the new set from Snap on, it has one other tool to hold the pulley, but you get the idea on the price. I am sure it would be higher if it came off the truck rather then ordering direct from Snap on

Kit, Puller/Installer, Air Conditioning
If your truck is charging you more, you have a greedy franchisee... in order to not damage the franchises, Snap On doesn't undercut them online or offer promotions through the website.

It's a good tool for keeping the truck honest, unfortunately there have been minor deviations in published pricing. I have heard of dealers adding percentages to the pricing, sometimes to get more out of high risk customers... sometimes across the board to pad their bottom line. This is not approved behavior, but IDK how much they audit for this.

Thanks for the info. Before I put in a bid on Snap-On puller, I checked all the similar Chinese kits on Amazon and elsewhere. They looked like a good deal, but the reviews indicated poor quality. Someone once told me: "Always buy the best. You will never be unhappy with it." I'm just really glad I got the Snap-On puller for about the same price as the el cheapos.
I suspect that is a MasterCool set... Snappy can't make everything they sell. IMO it is still top quality and a very good deal.

Great to see forward progress on the ‘vert. You have had so much fun these past few years with the parts car, will you be able to show the love to the ‘vert when she is up and running? How will you choose?

:steering:

Great to see forward progress on the ‘vert. You have had so much fun these past few years with the parts car, will you be able to show the love to the ‘vert when she is up and running? How will you choose?

:steering:

The convertible has always been the primary project, but the Parts Car has helped to make the convertible project easier to endure.

Guys: Sorry for the lack of updates regarding the Saga; I have made a lot of progress, and I'll post more pictures tonight. In the meantime, I am trying to get the engine in the convertible ready to start. I filled the crankcase yesterday, removed the old spark plugs (I used them to keep critters out of the cylinders) and hit the starter, so as to prime the oil pump. I cranked it a lot. . . But I couldn't get the oil pressure light to turn off, and the oil pressure gauge would not budge off of zero. I've worried about this all night. . . But I'm thinking this may not be a problem, because oil pressure high enough to turn off the light and register on the gauge, won't really be available until the engine fires for real. Can anybody comment on this?

I’d pull a valve cover or 2 and make sure oil reaches the upper valvetrain on both sides.

Guys: Sorry for the lack of updates regarding the Saga; I have made a lot of progress, and I'll post more pictures tonight. In the meantime, I am trying to get the engine in the convertible ready to start. I filled the crankcase yesterday, removed the old spark plugs (I used them to keep critters out of the cylinders) and hit the starter, so as to prime the oil pump. I cranked it a lot. . . But I couldn't get the oil pressure light to turn off, and the oil pressure gauge would not budge off of zero. I've worried about this all night. . . But I'm thinking this may not be a problem, because oil pressure high enough to turn off the light and register on the gauge, won't really be available until the engine fires for real. Can anybody comment on this?
You want to use an oil pump primer. Remove the distributor and oil pump drive. Stick the primer into the oil pump hex hole and spin it counter clockwise (clockwise for a small block) with an electric drill until you have oil pressure. Giving the engine a couple cranks while doing this is a good idea.

The primer is just a shaft that has a hex that fits in the oil pump and the body is the same diameter as the oil pump drive.

Mopar Performance Oil Pump Priming Shaft or
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-P4286800-Priming-Shaft/dp/B000CIZZGY

Or get it from your favorite supplier. $8-$12 depending on the shipping deal.

Giving the engine a couple cranks while doing this is a good idea.

DON'T DO THIS! And now you've just F-ed up where your timing is! And now you have a hell of a time finding it again to get things where they were before you turned the key! Why? Think about it!

It’s not difficult to reset the timing, especially if you have the covers off anyway and worthwhile to ensure you’ve got oil coming up on both sides. For a few minutes it’s cheap insurance and piece of mind.

DON'T DO THIS! And now you've just F-ed up where your timing is! And now you have a hell of a time finding it again to get things where they were before you turned the key! Why? Think about it!
What's worse. Effed up timing or running it with no oil?

Back