The Story

Clinton Bigelow

Reaction score
I'm new here so I thought I'd post a story about my Sport Fury.

My Dad bought this 1965 Sport Fury new and since I was born in 1969 this car has always been in my life. He taught my Mom how to drive in this thing. By the way, I have never driven it even until this day though I (and my brother) inherited it when Dad passed away in 2012.

To say that Dad loved this car is an understatement. He called it "Big Blue". A man doesn't keep a car for 46 years without having a tremendous amount of love for it. My earliest memories of it were of it sitting behind our house with a mangled left front fender. I don't recall seeing him drive it until well after my brother was born in 1972 so around 1976 would've been the first time. I never saw my Mom drive it either, ever. Weird right? I figured he or my Mom had wrecked it and he had no interest in getting it fixed. It just sat there with it's color fading away, bent up fender and tires going flat.

It gets weirder though. My Dad and his brothers would line up cans a few feet from the front of where it sat and shoot at them, they never hit the car though. By around 1976 the car was a rusting away, wrecked piece of junk that apparently hadn't been moved in or even cranked in years. Then one Saturday me and my brother woke up, ate, watched some cartoons then went outside where Dad was standing around joking with his buddies. He asks them,

"How much do y'all wanna bet that Big Blue will fire right up?"

None of them thought it would, but it did. Obviously this was me and my brothers first time ever hearing it and it sounded perfect. A few weeks later it looked perfect. This was the first time he restored it, in 1976. He drove it for a short while and then it sat for a few years more and he restored it again. Then it sat yet again.

Just before he passed he had started restoring it again and now it's up to me and my brother to finish it. He really did love it, so much so that he preferred to not drive it but instead brag and show it off to his friends which, in the long run, kept the mileage very, very low. In most of the pictures that we have of him guess what else was in those pictures.

Ultimately, we laid my Father to rest with the likeness of "Big Blue" engraved on his tombstone.

I always wondered why it sat for so long initially since it was still fairly modern at the time. Also, what caused that bent fender? Well it sat the first time because he, in his younger years, had a fondness for running from the cops, none could catch him in that Fury either. Usually they chased him and his friends (who also had cars that packed some serious muscle) in attempts to break up drag racing on these remote N. Carolina back roads. Why have a car with that much horsepower if you don't put it to use?

The fender damage was a result of these episodes with the law and the car wasn't just sitting, it was being hidden behind the house away from the eyes of the law and it must've taken years for the heat to cool down to a point where he felt comfortable about putting it back out there. In the mean time, his 1972 3-speed 340 Duster filled in nicely while things cooled down and it is sitting outside here next to "Big Blue".

Last edited:
Great story. Nice tribute to your Dad's memory that you and your brother are going to restore that Sport Fury. Are you restoring the '72 Duster also? These cars sometimes become a big part of a family. Post some photos of your cars, look forward to seeing them.

I'm new here so I thought I'd post a story about my Sport Fury.

My Dad bought this 1965 Sport Fury new and since I was born in 1969 this car has always been in my life. He taught my Mom how to drive in this thing. By the way, I have never driven it even until this day though I (and my brother) inherited it when Dad passed away in 2011.

To say that Dad loved this car is an understatement. He called it "Big Blue". A man doesn't keep a car for 46 years without having a tremendous amount of love for it. My earliest memories of it were of it sitting behind our house with a mangled left front fender. I don't recall seeing him drive it until well after my brother was born in 1972 so around 1976 would've been the first time. I never saw my Mom drive it either, ever. Weird right? I figured he or my Mom had wrecked it and he had no interest in getting it fixed. It just sat there with it's color fading away, bent up fender and tires going flat.

It gets weirder though. My Dad and his brothers would line up cans a few feet from the front of where it sat and shoot at them, they never hit the car though. By around 1976 the car was a rusting away, wrecked piece of junk that apparently hadn't been moved in or even cranked in years. Then one Saturday me and my brother woke up, ate watched some cartoons then went outside where Dad was standing around joking with his buddies. He asks them,

"How much do y'all wanna bet that Big Blue will fire right up?"

None of them thought it would, but it did. Obviously this was me and my brothers first time ever hearing it and it sounded perfect. A few weeks later it looked perfect. This was the first time he restored it, in 1976. He drove it for a short while and then it sat for a few years more and he restored it again. Then it sat yet again.

Just before he passed he had started restoring it again and now it's up to me and my brother to finish it. He really did love it, so much so that he preferred to not drive it but instead brag and show it off to his friends which, in the long run, kept the mileage very, very low. In most of the pictures that we have of him guess what else was in those pictures.

Ultimately, we laid my Father to rest with the likeness of "Big Blue" engraved on his tombstone.

I always wondered why it sat for so long initially since it was still fairly modern at the time. Also, what caused that bent fender? Well it sat the first time because he, in his younger years, had a fondness for running from the cops, none could catch him in that Fury either. Usually they chased him and his friends (who also had cars that packed some serious muscle) in attempts to break up drag racing on these remote N. Carolina back roads. Why have a car with that much horsepower if you don't put it to use?

The fender damage was a result of these episodes with the law and the car wasn't just sitting, it was being hidden behind the house away from the eyes of the law and it must've taken years for the heat to cool down to a point where he felt comfortable about putting it back out there. In the mean time, his 1972 3-speed 340 Duster filled in nicely while things cooled down and it is sitting outside here next to "Big Blue".

Rural Oregon was known to have cars like that around too, that periodically had to go in hiding. Which motor was in it? Police in those days here had a 383 or 390 in the county cars and 409's in the State Police Chevy's that were always broken.

Dave

Are you restoring the '72 Duster also? These cars sometimes become a big part of a family. Post some photos of your cars, look forward to seeing them.
I am restoring the Duster as well. My anxiety about getting these cars up to showroom condition has tempted me to do them both at the same time. However, the "X" is that Dad also left us with a '79 150. So the temptation is to do all 3 at the same time. My wife is trying to talk me into prioritizing or else she wouldn't see me for a few years, that is if I didn't die from exhaustion. Thank God none of them have any major issues.

You nailed it when you mentioned cars being a part of the family. My aunts (Dad's sisters) routinely break down crying when they see these cars which in turn causes me to start crying.

I will post photos beginning with this one.
20171022_140705.jpg

Last edited:
Police in those days here had a 383 or 390 in the county cars and 409's in the State Police Chevy's that were always broken.

Dave
It has the 383. As far as I know the police around here were running some big horsepower too. Andy Griffith's squad cars comes to mind.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Great story thank you. What county in NC are you in? That is probably the nicest memorial stone that I have seen.very cool. Maybe we could do something for fathers day like post photos of our dads cars or moms, I lost my dad about the same time you did and not a day goes by that I don't miss him. Hope you and your brother have a blast on "Big Blue".

MAN oh man what a great story.. your Pop would be proud of you guys for what your doing. If you have kids! These memories will live on another generation or more.. keep us posted, and of course! Pictures pictures pictures..

Great story thank you. What county in NC are you in? That is probably the nicest memorial stone that I have seen.very cool. Maybe we could do something for fathers day like post photos of our dads cars or moms, I lost my dad about the same time you did and not a day goes by that I don't miss him. Hope you and your brother have a blast on "Big Blue".
I'm in Alamance.

MAN oh man what a great story.. your Pop would be proud of you guys for what your doing. If you have kids! These memories will live on another generation or more.. keep us posted, and of course! Pictures pictures pictures..
I have 3 sons and 2 daughters, all by my wife of 28 years. My 2 oldest sons are 26 and 27, the youngest is 12. My 12 year old is named after my Dad, he'll be the one helping us with the projects since he's still at home. My 26 year old wants to pay someone else to do the restorations but that's too impersonal to me. My 27 year old and 2 daughters have no interest in cars.

I have 3 sons and 2 daughters, all by my wife of 28 years. My 2 oldest sons are 26 and 27, the youngest is 12. My 12 year old is named after my Dad, he'll be the one helping us with the projects since he's still at home. My 26 year old wants to pay someone else to do the restorations but that's too impersonal to me. My 27 year old and 2 daughters have no interest in cars.
Well I would say 1 out of 5 ain’t bad, but if you’re a numbers guy.. lol. Since your youngest is named after your dad and he seems to be the only one interested in hands-on, I would say that’s a certain sign that Pop watching over you guys. just my 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing your story...that headstone is amazing, wow!

My 26 year old wants to pay someone else to do the restorations but that's too impersonal to me.
:stop: I say, if the 26yo wants to pay... let him... :D

Seriously, great story... I might have been nice if someone else in my family thought of cars as more than just another appliance. It sounds like you have a wonderful father/son opportunity here... best wishes, and please keep us posted.:thumbsup:

I'm in Davidson Co. Near Lexington seems everyone around here is happy over RCR winning at Daytona I can here them dynoing if the winds right. I drive a 67 Newport Custom 383 2 barrel 2 door crystal blue poly black vinyl top if you see me around say hay I'll talk

Back