The weaponization of the DMV

I had a quite an experience in 2014 when I bought a 1971 Demon from a guy in San Fransisco.He said he had to sell it because the car had an exhaust cackle under the car according to DMV so he couldn't license it. and he had the title, but had four pink slips attached. so, apparently it had been sold several times before he got it, and he was the last pink slip.
Being from nebraska, I thought, what state would allow pink slip after pink slip to be sold, but He said as long as it was lnot relicensed, it was legal.
So I took all his copies to the dmv here in Nebraska. They looked at all of it, scratched their heads, called the California DMV, and then said it's all good!
So I sent the payment for the car thru my Daughter whom was attending Berkeley, caught a shipper that was coincidently heading east on I 80 that week, and two days later she arrived. It is a beautiful car, and with a new manifold and valve job, runs like a sewing machine.
The funniest part was when the truck showed up in Fort Calhoun, it was the last car of eight and on the bottom row with mainly lexus,mercedes, corvettes, heading to chicago. The driver was a moldavian, and asked in broken english:What is Demon?
I told him, and he said man, at every fuel stop people came out to look at the Demon, and not any of the other cars!
he asked ,how much? I told him, and he said Hell! That is less than the front clip of the lexus!
He then yelled as he left, go Mopars! and by the way, back then it cost $563 dollars to transport that car 1800 miles!

I had a quite an experience in 2014 when I bought a 1971 Demon from a guy in San Fransisco.He said he had to sell it because the car had an exhaust cackle under the car according to DMV so he couldn't license it. and he had the title, but had four pink slips attached. so, apparently it had been sold several times before he got it, and he was the last pink slip.
Being from nebraska, I thought, what state would allow pink slip after pink slip to be sold, but He said as long as it was lnot relicensed, it was legal.
So I took all his copies to the dmv here in Nebraska. They looked at all of it, scratched their heads, called the California DMV, and then said it's all good!
So I sent the payment for the car thru my Daughter whom was attending Berkeley, caught a shipper that was coincidently heading east on I 80 that week, and two days later she arrived. It is a beautiful car, and with a new manifold and valve job, runs like a sewing machine.
The funniest part was when the truck showed up in Fort Calhoun, it was the last car of eight and on the bottom row with mainly lexus,mercedes, corvettes, heading to chicago. The driver was a moldavian, and asked in broken english:What is Demon?
I told him, and he said man, at every fuel stop people came out to look at the Demon, and not any of the other cars!
he asked ,how much? I told him, and he said Hell! That is less than the front clip of the lexus!
He then yelled as he left, go Mopars! and by the way, back then it cost $563 dollars to transport that car 1800 miles!

A lot of my cars still have their original pink slips from back in the day......................they are still just titles but about one quarter the size of current titles.

FWIW a wrecked 23k 70 440+6,shaker,4.10 4 speed cuda l had in the early 80s.
It had the N95 code. If I remember right it had an extra steel tube that went back to gas tank?
Also a note no exhaust tips on such a performance car

F37745CC-B99B-4BA9-8F44-61B86B883CDC.jpeg

Back