The Weird Chrysler Cars of the Early 1960's

I,ll take this one.......:)

1647466453654.png

Virgil Exner produced designs that were both leading edge and controversial. At the very least he produced some very interesting unique automobiles that still draw a lot of attention at auto shows even today. Many of his designs are sought after collector cars because of their somewhat outlandish features and relatively low production numbers with very low survival rates. Love him or hate him, he won't soon be forgotten.

Dave

I watched this video yesterday, he produces some good content. It's almost like Exner was told "ok, no more fins. Tone 'em down.", and he said "FINE, I'll tone 'em down! SO, THERE!!!"
Every other manufacturer at the time found a way to graciously bow out, granted some longer than others. But, Chrysler just said to hell with fins, and that was that! Or so it seems.

As a teenager I hated them? Now I would take anyone of them!

It was an interesting video, but after watching it, I linked the Ralph Gilles videos and went down THAT hole for a few hours, ending with his hour on a 2019 "Autoline" segment. An interesting few hours!

As long as it took Chrysler to de-escalate their finned wonders, Cadillac still had evidence of their trade-mark fins on their 1967 models. With Thunderbird ending their fins with the 1963 models. Which brands were leading or following in this respect can depend upon how one looks at things going on back then, when everybody was seeking their own signature designs (or adaptations of others' designs).

By observation, many of the Chrysler designs looks poorly in some color/model combinations, but spectacular in others. IF the dealers had capitalized on those "spectacular" combinations, sales might have been different?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

More than a few people (almost everybody actually) call this the ugliest car ever, I see it as a collection of every attractive feature of all the concept cars at the time poured into a bucket and this was the result.
Ugly as a car but a rolling museum of those concept cars.
I'd love to own one.

ust-amp-accident-free-1960-plymouth-valiant-v200-1.jpg

While unusual, I found these cars to look pretty good in my eyes, especially compared to the really boring Ford Falcon or the homely 1960 Corvair (the later versions actually looked good though). I would really like to have one of them too, especially one of the wagons:

1647536532348.png

It was an interesting video, but after watching it, I linked the Ralph Gilles videos and went down THAT hole for a few hours, ending with his hour on a 2019 "Autoline" segment. An interesting few hours!

As long as it took Chrysler to de-escalate their finned wonders, Cadillac still had evidence of their trade-mark fins on their 1967 models. With Thunderbird ending their fins with the 1963 models. Which brands were leading or following in this respect can depend upon how one looks at things going on back then, when everybody was seeking their own signature designs (or adaptations of others' designs).

By observation, many of the Chrysler designs looks poorly in some color/model combinations, but spectacular in others. IF the dealers had capitalized on those "spectacular" combinations, sales might have been different?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

One could make the case that Cadillac had some form of fins all the way up to the 1992 Brougham d'Elegance...

cadillac-brougham-andy-78-1068x610.jpg

While unusual, I found these cars to look pretty good in my eyes, especially compared to the really boring Ford Falcon or the homely 1960 Corvair (the later versions actually looked good though). I would really like to have one of them too, especially one of the wagons:

View attachment 520894
Think about it.
A Chrysler 300 grill and an Imperial trunk lid on a tiny compact...
:rofl:

Many of the 1960s Exner-era designs had some pretty neat individual styling cues in them. Just that some of them did not really go with the other ones, as a group. They might not have been trendy, but they were DISTINCTIVE.

CBODY67

In order to appreciate Exner one should also take into account his work after he left Chrysler.

The Stutz experience shows that he mostly remained true to himself, not to the changing times around him (1975 Stutz Blackhawk shown):

stutz-blackhawk-right-front-1068x712.jpg

stutz-blackhawk-768x395.jpg

stutz-blackhawk-right-768x386.jpg

All unmistakably Exner. "Want an Exner car? Here!" The only hint at the 1970s is the formal roofline. The Knudsen nose is from the late Sixties, but served his purposes perfectly.

That's the big difference when compared to Engel, who blended in his personal approach with three very different designs, the Slab Sides, the Fuselage cars and the Formals.

Exner did not/could not adapt, something that Engel did all the time.

I really like Exner’s early design proposals for the ‘62 Plymouth and Imperial.

Back