Thermoquad Carb Question/Issue

moparnutcase

Reaction score
Ok, so having issues with keeping the Cordoda running. Just a few quick points....all original,under 11,300 miles,yes has Lean Burn. Car was ok on Friday when delivered. Yesterday had a hard time getting it started. Finally got it to run without stalling. Later tried to start it and won't stay running. Went out today,depressed pedal to floor and set choke, turn key,fires right off,runs for maybe 5 seconds and dies. Yesterday was cranking and nothing. Starting fluid would get it cranked and running but only for a few seconds. Today took the fuel line off the carb and had the wifey crank it over,fuel coming out of the line. When line is hooked back up to carb and throttle is manually triggered there is no fuel squirting out of the jets on the front of the carb. So my not so intelligent question is.....should there not be fuel coming out of those jets when manually manipulated, and if it is supposed to be, internals clogged or is there another issue? Engine needs air,fuel,and spark to run. Does start and run for a few seconds. Will start with starting fluid so that is what leads me to a fuel problem. I know the lean burn is for the most part crap, but I do have spark, otherwise it would not start with the ether. Any help pointed in the right direction would be appreciated!

It hates being in Jersey, especially with the rain weve had..... time to move south and keep warm

Buying cars while real estate is devaluing. .

Sorry, just a random thought.
Back to the question at hand . . .

Thermoquad...says it all right there. Sorry I just have a real blind spot when it comes to TQ's. Find a cheap Eddy 1406 IMHO been using them on Doba's for years.

Sounds like carb has some clogged fuel inlets. I would pull it apart for a good cleaning and rebuild, the good news is usually they are dumping fuel not starving. Fuel filter is before where you disconnected line I am guessing if not that's a good place to start.

Sounds like carb has some clogged fuel inlets. I would pull it apart for a good cleaning and rebuild, the good news is usually they are dumping fuel not starving. Fuel filter is before where you disconnected line I am guessing if not that's a good place to start.

I will be changing the fuel filter as I can only assume it is the original. Took fuel line off of carb and fuel is being delivered to the carb. Fuel gauge/sending unit is not working and don't know how low the tank has gotten. Poured a few bottles of dry gas in on Saturday and it sounded "hollow" while it was dropping into the tank. Put 5 gallons of gas in today and also sprayed the **** out of the carb, inlet,jets,etc. Going to try again tomorrow. Hoping it is just dirty at worst. Although I know virtually everyone hates the lean burn, I would like to keep the car as original as possible AND not have to spend money on a conversion.

Buying cars while real estate is devaluing. .

Sorry, just a random thought.
Back to the question at hand . . .

Not that is anybody's business but the money I made from selling my '65 Monaco was used to purchase this car. So not really taking money out of my pocket to buy a toy, basically just swapped cars for the most part.

By "fuel coming out of line", do you mean it's just drizzling out or was it squirting out? A few cranks of the engine should fill a coffee can half way.

I had a 76 doba in mid 80s with 400 lean burn and headers, only thing I ever did was to drill the secondary jets out to give it some more fuel at WOT. That car would get 18-20 mpg on the highway.

By "fuel coming out of line", do you mean it's just drizzling out or was it squirting out? A few cranks of the engine should fill a coffee can half way.
Definitely not that much coming out. I had her crank it for about 5 to 10 seconds and actually just had a rag to catch it. Looks like I will try the fuel filter tomorrow. I think the tank was lower on fuel than the PO thought it was and it probably dredged up some junk from the bottom of the tank. Thanks for the info.

Changed fuel filter and solved the problem, for now. I am sure the tank has some crap in it and will eventually have to be dropped. Probably needs a carb rebuild also as there is a hesitation/stutter right off of idle. Power valve? Either way it will have to get done. Hopefully will be able to hit a few shows before the season is over.

I had a '79 Cordoba with the E56 360, 4bbl motor. One day I experienced a similar thing as you described. One exception, the motor was running, but badly! By pulling spark plug wires I learned that certain cylinders were not firing. When I noticed that the cylinders that were not firing were numbers 2, 3, 5, and 8, it hit me that those corresponded to the dual-plane intake on the car. Half of my carb was not working! Yes, it was a Thermopuke.

I removed it and took it to a buddy in Bakersfield who was known as the best man for those carbs. He discovered a common event with those plastic bodied things - a hole on one side of the body. Why I didn't have fuel all over the place I'll never know.

He repaired it and it still ran on the car when I sold it. Great! However, had I lived in any State where the factory equipment was not mandated by Smog Laws, I would have put an Eddy on it in a heartbeat.

I would dump that carb if you legally can.

I would go with the advice here and get a Edelbrock 1406 and keep the original carb in your basement for the next owner.

Back