Thermostats... modern vehicle

Back in the days when the OEM Chrysler thermostats were the "Robert Shaw" design, they WERE better than the other ones. But by this point in time, I believe that all of the current OEM ones are of the normal design/style. I believe that everybody has standardized on the 195 degree heat level, but it's always best to use an OEM-sourced item just to ensure that everything's as it should be. NOT that a quality aftermarket, OEM-level item might not work just as well, all things considered. It might also be that the OEM gaskets are of a higher quality than the aftermarket items, though.

Default mode . . . OEM item from the dealership. Just make sure they sell you a Mopar part and not an aftermarket part they might sell in their shop.

CBODY67

Guys,
Do I recall someone saying that it is best to get a MOPAR thermostat for some reason? I'm working on our 2007 Chrysler T&C.
Thanks
John

The other reason for an OEM t-stat is that some of them are vented to allow air to be purged out of the cooling system after a coolant change. Most of the aftermarket replacements are not. You can drill a very small hole in the aftermarket units to get venting, but I usually just go and buy a factory piece. Downside is that the factory stats are about twice as much money.

Dave

John. I've tried Thermostats from Napa on down to the local hardware store and couldn't get even to one year out of any of 'um. Went back to the Mopar 'Stats, paid ah couple bucks more and they work fine. Mother farmed out the production 30+ yearz ago to Mexico but they're something different about them, They work long term, Jer

The other reason for an OEM t-stat is that some of them are vented to allow air to be purged out of the cooling system after a coolant change. Most of the aftermarket replacements are not. You can drill a very small hole in the aftermarket units to get venting, but I usually just go and buy a factory piece. Downside is that the factory stats are about twice as much money.

Dave

Some techs drill that hole, as a matter of course, if the stat doesn't already have one. The hole is there, on some engines (like Buick 3800-series V-6s) to prevent gauge "over-shoot", where the temp gets a little too high right before the stat starts to open, then has a noticeable decrease to the design temp after it opens. As if the stat is sluggish to open, when it's not. I believe the Buick factory stats also have a metal rod in the hole, with flattened ends so it stays put, as possibly a fine-tune of the hole/flow situation? I think there's a Buick TSB stating their-application stats need that hole in them?

CBODY67

John I use a lot of aftermarket thermostats at work and I don't recall having problems with them in Mopar vans. If the dealer is close by, pick one up, but I wouldn't go way out of my way to get one. Just my 2 cents

Some techs drill that hole, as a matter of course, if the stat doesn't already have one.

CBODY67
Not always the best of ideas. I did that on a Turbo 1 motor in the early 90's. Head gasket was leaking and combustion pressure was pushing out coolant into the overflow bottle. Head would go dry before thermostat opened. Drilling the hole let the gases out and kept the head full till the thermostat opened. It was a tiny hole, about 3/16 inch. Something a big block would never notice. That little leak I made tripled the time till the engine got up to temp.

Not always the best of ideas. I did that on a Turbo 1 motor in the early 90's. Head gasket was leaking and combustion pressure was pushing out coolant into the overflow bottle. Head would go dry before thermostat opened. Drilling the hole let the gases out and kept the head full till the thermostat opened. It was a tiny hole, about 3/16 inch. Something a big block would never notice. That little leak I made tripled the time till the engine got up to temp.

3/16" is about three times too big.

Dave

3/16" is about three times too big.

Dave
I took a walk out to the drill bit index and I was not thinking when I mentioned the hole size. I meant 3/32's. It was not a huge hole but it made a large difference in time to operating temp. Something to be aware of on OBDII cars. Everything is measured and quantified while being compared to a precompiled standard. If you are out of range your reward is a nice little yellow light.

Most of the thermostats in modern cars have a small air bleed with either a small pellet in it or a small bb in it

Back