Thinking of building a Petty 61 clone

I say go for it. That would be something you don't see a lot of. That was back when they really were stock cars.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I came across this 61 dodge fire truck with only 4800 miles online. Wouldn't this make a great ramp truck for the 61? Build a ramp bed and tow the ply around

It's pretty solid,It has the usual rocker rust spotty trunk and 1/4s. The floors have already been done.
no headlight rings to find,no trunk trim,no tailights,not much interior. I'm not the biggest diehard nascar fan,but I could watch vintage 50s60s70s nascar footage all day.
I would want it be as time period correct as possible. Not sure about the specs of the petty cars.
Were they 413s? Were they 4speeds? Etc.

View attachment 333048

View attachment 333049

View attachment 333050

View attachment 333051

View attachment 333052

View attachment 333053

View attachment 333054

View attachment 333055
Without looking it up, did the driver survive?

Without looking it up, did the driver survive?

Lee petty survived but when thru about a year of painful rehab and recovery. His racing days were pretty much over after that but he continued to build cars and engines for the team. The other driver was not seriosuly injured.

Dave

It's pretty solid,It has the usual rocker rust spotty trunk and 1/4s. The floors have already been done.
no headlight rings to find,no trunk trim,no tailights,not much interior. I'm not the biggest diehard nascar fan,but I could watch vintage 50s60s70s nascar footage all day.
I would want it be as time period correct as possible. Not sure about the specs of the petty cars.
Were they 413s? Were they 4speeds? Etc.

View attachment 333048

View attachment 333049

View attachment 333050

View attachment 333051

View attachment 333052

View attachment 333053

View attachment 333054

View attachment 333055
Those crash pics are something else! I remember watching some of those races on TV (remember Chris Economaki?). They drove with only a roll bar, three point harness, and a helmet. The pack of Luckys rolled up in the shirt sleeve was optional.

Probably a open face helmet at that.

If anybody comes across any 61 petty car pics that I haven't already posted, I would be interested seeing them ,as I will need as many details as possiable

If I remember correctly, the 4 speed Mopars made their appearance in the '64 racing season. I think it was the same new process 4 speed used with the stage 3 drag cars. The ones before that were 3 speeds.

Dave
Dave --
Actually, I believe MOPARs were available in the 1963 model year with 4-speed transmissions, but it wasn't the A-833, rather the B-W.
Joe Godec

Dave --
Actually, I believe MOPARs were available in the 1963 model year with 4-speed transmissions, but it wasn't the A-833, rather the B-W.
Joe Godec

I remember seeing a few T-10 transmissions around in drag cars, but they could not take the torque of the stage engine, most racers opted for the enhanced A-727 for durability issues in the '62-63 cars. Many went back to 4 speeds for '64. Nobody ran an automatic on Nascar then as far as I know. Petty racing probably has all the stat sheets still available for anyone who is curious.

Dave

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea to preserve the car economically while still making it a worthy collectible car.

As far as ads are concerned the Manual trans was subject to the 64 ad campaign as the new choice. Prior to that there was no capable four Speed in the Mopar lineup to hold up to the power of the hipo engines.

s-l1600.jpg

Well, It's a go then! I think it will be fairly easy to do and economical and most important fun! I have seen a few 1960s and a few later ones,but no 61s.
I have mostly everything I need already. There will be no cutting of anything I can think of? Any pics or details that anybody has I would like to see.
Good idea, to contact the petty museum to see if anybody can help with details.
I was looking at the post crash pics and it does appear to be a 3speed Manuel colum?
I can't imagine driving a colum shift in a 150mph nascar race.

Some Alfa Romeo sedans of the 50s and early 60s were used in competion with five Speed coulumn shifts, it is possible, they did not run 150 mph though.

a friend--fritz wilson was an early nascar runner---his first new car was a 62 savoy prepped by the pettys----he was running that spicer 3 speed manual--when the 4 speeds came out in 64 guys found the old 3 speed was stronger and had less problems---since fritz ran his own show he was getting race motors supplied by plymouth but he had to buy the transmissions and other parts---he stuck with the 3 speed till about 1968-----he said he pretty much ran in 3rd gear everywhere....

Back