WANTED Thinking of buying this tool, any feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What diameter?
You should be able to almost do that with your fingers in 3/16.
I've never had a problem with crimps in 3/16, but 5/16 fuel lines are where I've had all the trouble.

The green 3/16" brake line you can buy at NAPA is very easy to work with and should get you that radius.

What diameter?
You should be able to almost do that with your fingers in 3/16.
I've never had a problem with crimps in 3/16, but 5/16 fuel lines are where I've had all the trouble.
I can do it but it comes out looking exactly what it is. Bent with my fingers.

I bought an el cheapo Harbor Freight pipe bender to do the gas line bends, it comes out very nice, if you look at my GT rebuild you will see examples of my work.
On another note, what on earth are 90 degree flares used on?

I bought an el cheapo Harbor Freight pipe bender to do the gas line bends, it comes out very nice, if you look at my GT rebuild you will see examples of my work.
On another note, what on earth are 90 degree flares used on?
O-ring.
And Mopar transmission lines use 37° fittings.
So everybody screws them up too by thinking 45

Last edited:
lol
I can't think of one automotive application actually. I remember them for low pressure air applications.

There are brake line applications that turn 90 degrees immediately behind the fitting. No tool I have found will allow you to create a bubble flare in that situation.
There must be a way to make the bend with the fitting in place. A tubing bender won't do it in with OEM looking results.

There are brake line applications that turn 90 degrees immediately behind the fitting. No tool I have found will allow you to create a bubble flare in that situation.
There must be a way to make the bend with the fitting in place. A tubing bender won't do it in with OEM looking results.
I did all of them on my car using either my hands or a small diameter socket with a groove in the side. They turned out identical to the originals. But we were talking about 90 degree flares not bends.

lol
I can't think of one automotive application actually. I remember them for low pressure air applications.
Hydraulic systems use a lot of O-ring fittings in addition to teh JIC flares (which is 37deg for those not aware). The O-ring requires a spot-faced machined surface to seal on (at an OEM level anyway, shadetree might get away without it if surface is good and pressure low). So you'll only see them used on an item that is getting a lot of machining anyway, such as hydraulic valve bodies and manifolds.

I saw a lot of that stuff when I designed utility trucks in 97-2005. Don't recall seeing it on any cars, but there might be some oddball uses on diesels or something.

I usually use the regular flaring tool stuff but instead of using the screw flare against the die to make first flare I stick it in the press, these are also for bubble flare that newer cars use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back