This is why they are called Formals

Bob has some Football chicks taped to his opera Windows to pretend they're in the car I guess. :)

formal.jpg

formal.jpg

I read it somewhere so I started using it and it stuck.
You need to ask Mr C where it came from. I was merely an early pioneer spreading the gospel, not the originator. And everyone drank the KoolAde.

Posted via Topify on Android

It started on one of the boards...probably on the Drydock. Until then "Formal" moniker was settled on they were called various things such as : 74-78 Cbody, Last Generation, Shocker (a term the derby crowd uses regarding these cars) etc.

Some thought that these cars had a more formal look to them, especially with the opera window theme being all the rage in the 70's, plus many wanted a single word to ascribe to the 74-78 run of cars, so it's been Formal ever since among the C body crowd.

I've never seen it used outside C body hobbyists, or in print anywhere. I doubt the rest of the Mopar hobby knows about these terms, what with them being so focused on sourcing a $600.00 NOS antenna for their E body.

So mr c is it a name you are good with it will be good for the rest of us, no matter how pervy the opera windows are getting portrayed.

Suppose "Shocker" might fit depending on what you see looking through the opera window. Formal makes sense in my mind especially when they added the waterfall grill. A very classy touch. To my mind the cars are an evolution for the fuselage style to something more formal. While I appreciate them Fusies and Slabs are still my favorites. Of course I'm biased.

It started on one of the boards...probably on the Drydock. Until then "Formal" moniker was settled on they were called various things such as : 74-78 Cbody, Last Generation, Shocker (a term the derby crowd uses regarding these cars) etc.

I was on three generations of Drydocks and it just popped up out of the blue. Probably on Scotts Drydock which is about nine years old now .

Damn... again with the blood pressure. Calm down or you'll blow a gasket........... just cant take a joke ...:eek:ops:

Suppose "Shocker" might fit depending on what you see looking through the opera window. Formal makes sense in my mind especially when they added the waterfall grill. A very classy touch. To my mind the cars are an evolution for the fuselage style to something more formal. While I appreciate them Fusies and Slabs are still my favorites. Of course I'm biased.

Derby guys refer to Formals as shocker because of the "shock" absorber bumpers. And those bumpers are highly sought after by the derby guys.

Okay so what exactly is the St Regis package?

As shown by the add Commando1 put up, it was the moniker given to a special appearance package in 74 for the Chrysler New Yorker 2 Dr. It was only available in white in 74- it was more of an "exclusive package" I guess being available in only white. Interiors were white with a choice of accompanying carpet colour being up to the buyer (the most common I've seen is gold carpet).
The same opera window treatment was offered on the Imperial as the Crown Coupe option (except Imperial Crown Coupes were only available in Golden Fawn in 74).

Getting back to the Chrysler line, it was continued in 75, but with more colours available. In 1976 the St Regis package became available on the Newport line- in keeping with the shuffling of the line up after the demise of the Imperial. By 75 the St Regis option was pretty much just the opera roof treatment.

The same opera window treatment was offered on the Imperial as the Crown Coupe option (except Imperial Crown Coupes were only available in Golden Fawn in 74).

Same color as Bob' 1978 Newport...

DSC02966.jpg

DSC02966.jpg

N7u56D7.jpg
vRacB3w.jpg
2kLum6A.jpg

This is called extracting blood out of a rock by simply giving it different vinyl roof designs.

Last edited:
N7u56D7.jpg
vRacB3w.jpg
2kLum6A.jpg

This is called extracting blood out of a rock by simply giving it different vinyl roof designs.

Those vinyl roof applications eliminated the rust that was prevalent around the rear window with the full roof vinyl applications.

Back