This is why they are called Formals

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
TzrsxHd.jpg

Posted via Topify on Android

Opera windows were pretty standard across the Big Four in 1974. I don't see this as the "reason" that these are called "Formals", as that was not Chrysler's name for the style, yes?

Ford offered formal and sportsroof in the late 60's and early 70's on the torino/fairlane and galaxie/XL model line,

Because they needed a name...

When I started on this message board internet thing 18 years ago they weren't referred to as Formal.... I think Stan made it up

I read it somewhere so I started using it and it stuck.
You need to ask Mr C where it came from. I was merely an early pioneer spreading the gospel, not the originator. And everyone drank the KoolAde.

Last edited:
That "Gran Fury" emblem on the fender looks out of place. All the ones I've seen were on the roof to the rear of the window.

A hundred layers of management had to sign off on the location of that emblem. It originally started out where it really belonged.

I don't get it. It's a Formal because it's a creepy pic taken by some guy who is peeping on a young girl? I think it's more like why Chrysler lost market share.

Bob has some Football chicks taped to his opera Windows to pretend they're in the car I guess. :)

Back