Throttle Return Spring Tension?

Mr onetwo

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, can anyone tell me what the spring tension should be on a properly setup 1968 383 two barrel throttle? Is it smart to go to dual springs? Thanks!

OEM Throttle.PNG

original setup.JPG

duel spring throttle setup.jpg

Az far az tension goez....What ever your right foot and calf feel comfortable with. And YES!!!!!! If you've ever had a one spring set up break on you it'll probably happen at full throttle. Do you know what its like to try and stop 4000lbs when the throttle wants to keep the engine at wide open throttle? Cleaning out your shorts iz the easy part, Jer

Stan...do you have a part number for the springs in your picture? I can't find where Mopar ever had dual springs... as shown in the above FSM diagram.

Stan...do you have a part number for the springs in your picture? I can't find where Mopar ever had dual springs... as shown in the above FSM diagram.
You can pick up a Dorman ("Help!" ) assortment package at O'PepadvanceZone for under 10 bucks and mix n match to your liking.
Where the dual springs were used was a mixed bag. Never did figure out what specific applications used and did not use it. I do it simply as a Standard Operating Procedure. It realky, REALLY sucks when a single spring lets go. Ever REVERSE SPIN an engine? Once is all you need to learn your lesson.

I had a throttle spring break once and it was at wide open throttle on my Barracuda. It is a 67 so I just shut down and pulled over, not so easy on a car with the key in the column. The Barracuda does have power steering but not brakes so that wasn't an issue either. I ended up stretching the spring enough to hook it on something and continue, I was about 10 miles from civilization at the time.

Alan

Rick Ehrenburg is going to send me a set. They are the ones in the 3rd photo above. I'll let you know how they work out.

so i bought some springs off summit and they said throttle springs in the ad but when i got them they said clutch springs on the pkg.. they are WAY too strong tension-wise.

i heard you want light-ish springs especially with an eddy carb as it can wallow out the hole where it physically connects.. dunno , its just what i heard.

i ended up putting the original back on and telling myself it was good.

until this post about double springs...

damn. need another spring.

ill try not to die !

- saylor

All 7 of my Cordoba's had the dual spring setup. None of my 300's had them but do so now. Had to play around with different lengths, rates to get the right pedal feel which after driving drive by wire units all day gets a little difficult.

Well I guess I better get on that too. Is that true with the Eddy carbs wearing like that with spring tension?

santa brought me the 2 spring setup like in commandos picture ^^.

they were way strong for my right leg - i want big toe gas pedal, and this was whole leg gas pedal.

i put one end of the springs into a vise and pulled the other end with pliers and gave them a good stretch, and now they are just right.

good call on 2x springs.

thanks for trying to not let us die -

- saylor

Back