Throttle linkage bushing source??

Sir Dodge alot

Reaction score
Hello again C body gurus out there.

I Would be most grateful if anyone can shed some light on potential sources for bushings that will work with this early style of throttle linkage.

I'm having an issue sourcing some throttle linkage bushing(s)??

Problem is that the throttle linkage does not allow the carb to return to curb idle, in turn I would need to pull on the gas pedal to manually return the carb to curb idle. Or give the pedal a quick goose,

(Local kids thought I was challenging them to a race at the stoplights, which clearly is not my intention lol)

(The carb is not binding in any way, just some slop due to the wallowed out bushing & a return spring that is slightly worn also)

I have found out that there is a bushing that is worn out in the throttle linkage rod.

Patient; 1964 Dodge custom 880.

Will try to post more information on this Rig if necessary. Thank you very much.

EDIT: I have checked Layson's restoration parts and referred to the FSM.

Result: no parts found or mentioned in the FSM.
not surprising that there are no parts even online, since C body parts are made of unobtanium.

PXL_20230413_224449708.jpg

PXL_20230413_224248533.jpg

PXL_20230413_224254010.jpg

PXL_20230413_224318506.jpg

PXL_20230413_224337972.jpg

Last edited:
First things . . . lube the linkage so it works smoothly and with less wear, ALSO get a stronger return spring (or possibly use two plastic wire tires to keep the coils from extending in the part of the spring closest to where it is anchored).

Looks like the base hole the linkage interfaces with has elongated, so that will need to be fixed first. I'm not familiar with the linkage on that model year of car, so I'm not sure how large in diameter the particular rods are. After the elongated hole is round again, then finding a bushing of sorts to fill it and have an ID which matches the other rod will be necessary. Not sure if a door hinge pin bushing might work or not.

In some of the GM light duty pickup trucks of the middle 1960s, they had some push-in plastic bushing on their mechanical throttle linkage. Again, not sure if those might work. Should be in the repro parts for those pickup trucks, as they were OEM and such. In some GM models when they still had solid linkages, pre-throttle cable, they had some other rubber-isolated linkage bushings that snapped into the linkage, then the plastic sleeves went in. Just have to check the repro vendors for such . .. . not eBay, but the vendors themselves online catalogs.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

First things . . . lube the linkage so it works smoothly and with less wear, ALSO get a stronger return spring (or possibly use two plastic wire tires to keep the coils from extending in the part of the spring closest to where it is anchored).

Looks like the base hole the linkage interfaces with has elongated, so that will need to be fixed first. I'm not familiar with the linkage on that model year of car, so I'm not sure how large in diameter the particular rods are. After the elongated hole is round again, then finding a bushing of sorts to fill it and have an ID which matches the other rod will be necessary. Not sure if a door hinge pin bushing might work or not.

In some of the GM light duty pickup trucks of the middle 1960s, they had some push-in plastic bushing on their mechanical throttle linkage. Again, not sure if those might work. Should be in the repro parts for those pickup trucks, as they were OEM and such. In some GM models when they still had solid linkages, pre-throttle cable, they had some other rubber-isolated linkage bushings that snapped into the linkage, then the plastic sleeves went in. Just have to check the repro vendors for such . .. . not eBay, but the vendors themselves online catalogs.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Thanks, that gives me something to think about.
The sketchy return spring is no doubt going to be changed to a dual return spring type, the ones that are used usually with Carter/edyy carbs.

I could have sworn I saw a white plastic type of washer that resembled a bushing at the local chain parts store.

I'll grab my calipers and see if I can measure the ID of the old bushing and get some measurements.

Appreciate the insightful reply. Will try to update as whenever possible with the end results.

Thanks.

Edit:

Just perused the net a bit and indeed there are GM plastic bushings for sale online repro parts website.

Will see if I can get any locally, still have not measured the ID of the old bushing, so that is in the next order of steps.

Last edited:
This is the bushing you are looking for.
1964 dodge throttle shaft plastic bushings - Google Shopping

But I replaced mine with a flange bearing. If I Remember the shaft is 3/8th . I drilled 2 holes in the bracket and 2 small screws to secure it. A lot nicer than the plastic piece in my opinion and supports the shaft better.

McMaster-Carr

View attachment 591396
Hey just what the doctor ordered!

I'll get that bushing and ponder on the bearing option, it'll work more smoothly with the bearing for sure, but I'm just not a fan of drilling holes into the original bracketery.

Appreciate the parts link, mind if you tell me what automobile you installed that bearing in?

I'm guessing an early C body with the early style throttle linkage than 1965?

Thanks again.
This is the bushing you are looking for.
1964 dodge throttle shaft plastic bushings - Google Shopping

But I replaced mine with a flange bearing. If I Remember the shaft is 3/8th . I drilled 2 holes in the bracket and 2 small screws to secure it. A lot nicer than the plastic piece in my opinion and supports the shaft better.

McMaster-Carr

View attachment 591396

Thanks, purchased from the original owner 20 + years ago. Was used in a Viper commercial, my 15 minutes of fame. :steering:

Neat car! Neat commercial!

Thanks for posting the link!
CBODY67

Hot diggity dog, and Used your C body 880 for a commercial. That's fantastic!

nice to see the 880 on the "big screen" gets some recognition and eyes on the C body crowd where it's sparse in terms of enthusiasts.

Thought to update this thread a bit, got the bushing installed yesterday.

I think I figured out why the old worn bushing was epoxied in place. (More on that later)

When I installed the new bushing, went for a drive shortly after.
The throttle inputs were tight and no slop, but that's where the good news ends.

Coming up on a traffic light I noticed the gas pedal was NOT returning to curb idle.

And the pedal felt a bit "off"

I pulled into a parking lot in a jiffy and shut the car off and popped the hood.

The bushing, along with the linkage rod had jumped out of it's socket.

I was able to limp the car home, with the throttle linkage rod tightly strapped to the linkage rod socket with some handy throttle return springs I had in my
"oh ****, emergency" toolbox.

Seems like I'm going for the bearing route as well!

Thought about it for a while, the bushing is nice for the car that is maintaining originality, but function, not so much. The inherent design of the linkage rod socket with the bushing seems flawed, the bushing has small little "teeth" to bite into the throttle linkage socket area.

But everytime the gas pedal is pressed, it shifts the bushing slightly, until numerous twists of the linkage rod dislocates the linkage rod and the bushing from it's socket.

HENCE this was why the old bushing was epoxied in place against the linkage bracketery, TO STOP THE FLEXING MOTION OF THE ROD AND THE BUSHING IT'S SELF!

It was an Ah ha! Now I know! Moment.

Anywho, Especially for mine is a daily driver.
This is not a favourable outcome for the bushing to fail miserably.

Edit: @Dan Scully seems like you anticipated that the bushing was going to fail, hence the link with the bearing from Mc master.

Anywho, seems like a bearing is needed in place instead, lol.

Last edited:
Back