Timing Chain

Rathmore, we all would be able to help you out more if you didn't use your phone to do this.

Posted via Topify on Android

Sounds like he is saying his timing gear marks are off? Well, my interpretation.

If so put cam gear mark at 6 o/c and crank gear mark at 12 o/c exactly. If lots of slack, when pushing on it like when you check fan belts, then get rid of it.

Yea, sounds like the timing marks aren't lining up right.

Turn the engine until they line up as suggested above. The marks on the new gears should line up just the same as you put them on.

Its not supposed to be on TDC with the marks aligned. Turn engine over until the marks line up dot to dot with a straight edge .

Sorry for the Delay on getting back to everyone had some issues with the mother in law getting very ill shes doing a lot better now but its also January and cold out lol.
But I had finished the timing chain and everything lined up great.
Cranking her shes got spark and is getting fuel but other then that nothing .
Put the timing light on and it says I am good on timing so now im truly lost.
Any Ideas where to go from here?

All I can say is im lost and it makes no sense to me and I wish my father was still with us to help me here

Make sure the distributor is not out 180°. It's an easy mistake to make.

and to do that easiest way is to Pull out the dist and spin it 180 n drop it back in?

Yea, you could do that. Probably the easiest way to try it.

Or... pull #1 plug and put your thumb on the hole. When the compression comes up, bring the timing mark to zero. Point the rotor at #1 plug wire and bolt the distributor in.

Yea, you could do that. Probably the easiest way to try it.

Or... pull #1 plug and put your thumb on the hole. When the compression comes up, bring the timing mark to zero. Point the rotor at #1 plug wire and bolt the distributor in.

Ok so Ill pull Number 1 in the morning and slide a straw down n in it to see when its at the top n make sure the rotors pointing
to it Thanks again everyone ill let yas know how it goes

Ok so Ill pull Number 1 in the morning and slide a straw down n in it to see when its at the top n make sure the rotors pointing
to it Thanks again everyone ill let yas know how it goes

It has to be TDC on the compression stroke. Putting a straw in the cylinder will tell you TDC, but you have a 50% shot that it will be on the compression stroke.

Thumb on the plug hole....

ohh yeah that could be my problem lol when I pulled the distributor to get it un gummed all I did was use a straw haha go figure ive been working on it off n on n if that is my problem lol that would kind of figure in to my luck lol

Usually motors that run fine at idle but start popping and acting up off idle is ignition related. Did this just start? Did it start after a change like plugs or wires ? Do you have points or electronic ignition? Rule out the basics first a 383 will run at idle with a plug wire crossed but not so much under load. check plugs and gaps check point gap if you have points. check firing order should be 18436572 counter clockwise if im right. Make sure no plug wires are melted against exhaust manifolds etc. check cap , rotor for cracks or carbon tracking and go from there. If your motor jumped time ( worn or damaged timing chain and gears) you would have probably heard or felt it. If any ignition parts look sketchy replace them because you would need them anyway even if you have to do to timing chain.

I had a similar problem recently. Flooded the engine and fouled the plugs when trying to start with a bad Ignitor module. I replaced it with an Ignitor II and it was timed right but wouldn't fire worth a flip. I pulled number one plug and it was wet and black with fuel and soot. I pulled plugs, spun it a few times, changed plugs and fired it right up. So, you might check the plugs.

Back