timing cover oil leak

jct

Reaction score
68 383

changed my timing change everything is buttoned up and it sprays oil around that area while i'm driving upon my google searchings

Oil pan gasket and/or timing cover leak? (440-3) | Moparts Question and Answer | Moparts Forums

the last post on the first page states "suggested i drill out the locator pin holes on the front cover to the next size, install the cover loosely, install the damper to center the seal, then tighten up the cover bolts" any other suggestions minus pulling the engine out and to do it properly.

and from the looks of it i am the first person all 50 years to have the engine apart and the bottom end hasn't been touch yet don't exactly want to break the seal on the oil pan (gasket)

Didn't read the Moparts thread.... But just a quick question...

Did you put this back in?

312-P5249636.jpg

First, you need to determine where the oil is coming from. If the oil is coming out of the corners of where the timing cover meets the pan, you will probably have to pull the cover back off to fix the leak properly. If the oil is coming out of the hub seal, the seal is most likely damaged and will have to be replaced. Either way, it is going to have to come back apart. Do not drill or otherwise alter the timing cover as it is designed to be self centering. When you pull it back apart, check the oil slinger sleeve, (above) it can be installed backwards which might be the cause of your leak. The sleeve should be installed so that the channel in the sleeve faces the hub seal.

Dave

I did replace the oil seal with a new one when i had my cylinder heads rebuilt, and put back my oil slinger

Not exactly sure where at around the timing cover it's leaking oil, i just know its spraying along the swaybar endlinks and the ps pump and dripping down from there...

I know i had difficulty putting my timing cover back on and a squished/moved the cork gasket had to make new holes in it too it moved that much...

I did replace the oil seal with a new one when i had my cylinder heads rebuilt, and put back my oil slinger

Not exactly sure where at around the timing cover it's leaking oil, i just know its spraying along the swaybar endlinks and the ps pump and dripping down from there...

If it is throwing oil from the hub seal, usually the harmonic balancer will be covered with oil, it will run down the back side of the balancer and get picked up by the fan and blown all over. When you get ready to start over, oil the hub and the seal liberally, the seal running dry is usually how they get damaged. If you changed the position of the holes in the cork gasket, you probably have a gap someplace where the oil is leaking out

Dave

If you determine that there is a leak from the corners of the timing cover where it meets the pan, I have had some success cleaning the area of the leak with Brake-Kleen (need to clear all oil from the mating surface) and taking a tube of the red or black RTV with the tip cut as small as possible and squirting the stuff into the void. Be sure to let it set up over night. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But you won't be out much to try.

Dave

going to try it out when i get the new gaskets for it, just to have it on hand

I know i had difficulty putting my timing cover back on and a squished/moved the cork gasket had to make new holes in it too it moved that much...

I would remove the oil pan at this point, along with the timing cover and try it again with new gaskets. Replace the timing cover first, followed by the oil pan with your sealant of choice.

You should not have had a hard time putting the cover on or had to cut new holes in the gaskets to get it to work. Something is just wrong.

I would remove the oil pan at this point, along with the timing cover and try it again with new gaskets. Replace the timing cover first, followed by the oil pan with your sealant of choice.

You should not have had a hard time putting the cover on or had to cut new holes in the gaskets to get it to work. Something is just wrong.

Can i remove the oil pan without removing the engine. I don't have a tools to do that...

Can i remove the oil pan without removing the engine. I don't have a tools to do that...
Should be able to. You may have to disconnect the tie rod from the idler and steering arm to allow it to drop out of the way and if you have a single exhaust, that may have to be dropped out of the way, but not necessarily off the car.

Whoa, I would clean it up with brake kleen first and figure out where the oil is coming from before taking it apart.

Whoa, I would clean it up with brake kleen first and figure out where the oil is coming from before taking it apart.
Yep, that's right.

Sorry, I got a little ahead of the diagnostics..... Figure out where it's coming from first.

Sadly i rather hear the worst of it first, and figure the simplest way to do it :-|

Finally got around to taking things apart, i like it when life is not making busy with other lifely things and the weather cooperates

I give you my source of my oil leak

20180922_155120.jpg

Tomorrow i will try to put it back together, hope i don't fudge it up again
grimacing-face_1f62c.png

Back