Timing marks?

carguy300

Reaction score
Ive been reading different scenerios for marks, before I cover this back up, I set balancer at tdc, rotor was at #1. This is where the marks were when I pulled the cover. Crank mark at 12oclk timing gear mark at 12oclk. I put new back on the same way, is this going to be an issue? This car was not running when I got it, was told it was when parked. Should be ok?

Here pic with new gears/ chain

IMG_3036.jpeg

Ive been reading different scenerios for marks, before I cover this back up, I set balancer at tdc, rotor was at #1. This is where the marks were when I pulled the cover. Crank mark at 12oclk timing gear mark at 12oclk. I put new back on the same way, is this going to be an issue? This car was not running when I got it, was told it was when parked. Should be ok?
The top gear should be timed at the 6 o'clock position, the crank gear at 12 o'clock. Your firing order could be 180 degrees off with the top gear at 12 o'clock. Remember that the crank shaft does two revolutions for each top gear revolution. Take a bore scope and verify that the #1 piston is at TDC. Then rotate the crank until the top gear is in the 6 o'clock position, now set the distributor rotor to the #1 position and you should be good to go. Someone may have had this engine apart before because factory timing sets were always installed at the 6-12 o'clock position. You can check your work by rotating the crank two revolutions from TDC, you should have compression on #1 as the timing mark hits TDC for the second time. Engine should be at TDC with the gears at 6-12 o'clock.

Dave

Last edited:
The top gear should be timed at the 6 o'clock position, the crank gear at 12 o'clock. Your firing order could be 180 degrees off with the top gear at 12 o'clock. Remember that the crank shaft does two revolutions for each top gear revolution. Take a bore scope and verify that the #1 piston is at TDC. Then rotate the crank until the top gear is in the 6 o'clock position, now set the distributor rotor to the #1 position and you should be good to go. Someone may have had this engine apart before because factory timing sets were always installed at the 6-12 o'clock position. You can check your work by rotating the crank two revolutions from TDC, you should have compression on #1 as the timing mark hits TDC for the second time. Engine should be at TDC with the gears at 6-12 o'clock.

Dave
I will reck this. I know it has been apart, black silicone on all gaskets. Thanks. I took it apart this way, put back the same way, if it ran then it should run now, but I dont if it did or how it.

I will reck this. I know it has been apart, black silicone on all gaskets. Thanks. I took it apart this way, put back the same way, if it ran then it should run now, but I dont if it did or how it.
You may want to roll you're engine over to get the cam mark at 6 o clock and check if chain may be a tooth off.

Back