Timing

Plymouth man

Reaction score
can someone help me with timing on a 77 newport with a 400 I changed the lean burn to points and a holley avenger carburetor and had it running one time but it was erratic missing at idle so I thought I'd pull the distributor and start over now I can't find the right top dead center Mark it has 4 groves on balancer in 4 different spots approximately 90 degrees apart I done timed it at several spots and all I get is a loud pop

That is the way the later B/RB balancers were built. BUT there should still be a groove in the outer ring, as always. I think those outer areas were supposed to be used with some type of crank-trigger set-up which never materialized? When you find the outside groove, aim for about 10-12.5 degrees BTDC and see how things go.

Take care,
CBODY67

can someone help me with timing on a 77 newport with a 400 I changed the lean burn to points and a holley avenger carburetor and had it running one time but it was erratic missing at idle so I thought I'd pull the distributor and start over now I can't find the right top dead center Mark it has 4 groves on balancer in 4 different spots approximately 90 degrees apart I done timed it at several spots and all I get is a loud pop
Pull the #1 plug out and turn the engine over while you have your thumb over the plug hole. When the compression starts to push your thumb off, stop and now slowly crank it to the next mark on the balancer. That will be TDC for #1 on the compression stroke.

Now aim the rotor in your distributor to #1 wire and install.

Simple as that.

Pull the #1 plug out and turn the engine over while you have your thumb over the plug hole. When the compression starts to push your thumb off, stop and now slowly crank it to the next mark on the balancer. That will be TDC for #1 on the compression stroke.

Now aim the rotor in your distributor to #1 wire and install.

Simple as that.
I didn't see no more marks on the outer ring but did do as you said big john and it fired up but it ain't hitting on all 8 sounds terrible any ideas

I didn't see no more marks on the outer ring but did do as you said big john and it fired up but it ain't hitting on all 8 sounds terrible any ideas
No marks? I wonder if the outside ring has slipped.

If you don't have any marks, you'll have to tune the timing by ear. With the vacuum advance unhooked and the hose to the carb plugged, twist the distributor a little each way (while the engine is running) and see if the idle cleans up.

If it doesn't, double check the firing order (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2) and that goes counterclockwise.

If the dampener ring has slipped, I suggest getting it rebuilt by one of the rebuilding companies. Then you can use a timing light and get it right.

Thanks man I done tried moving the distributor both ways it don't improve nothing so I'll check the balancer will one off a 440 work

Thanks man I done tried moving the distributor both ways it don't improve nothing so I'll check the balancer will one off a 440 work
It gets kind of screwy with what fits in those years with cast cranks and external balancing... I think it would be much less headache in the long run to get the balancer rebuilt.

I've never used these guys, but heard good things. DamperDoctor

Back