to carb or what carb that is the question

t57f100

Reaction score
im not big on fuel injection because my cost are what they are but i have a 1965 318 poly engine and was wondering what is recommended as a newer carb to use are you guys using and adapter to 4 barrel or a new drop in plug and play 2 barrel let me know.getting closer with my engine rebuild and want to get some info.i want to say thank you to all of you who have helped me along the way here getting my project done.its meant so much

im not big on fuel injection because my cost are what they are but i have a 1965 318 poly engine and was wondering what is recommended as a newer carb to use are you guys using and adapter to 4 barrel or a new drop in plug and play 2 barrel let me know.getting closer with my engine rebuild and want to get some info.i want to say thank you to all of you who have helped me along the way here getting my project done.its meant so much

The 4BBL adapter to the 2 BBL manifold does not work very well, too much turbulence. I would probably stay with a Carter BBD 2BBL carb, they were very reliable. By '65, the 318 poly was primarily an entry level engine with emphasis on economy rather than performance and the Carter BBD filled that role well. If you really think you must have a 4BBL carb, you can probably find a cast maniforld from a '63 or older 318 poly and adapt a 600cfm Carter AFB carb. There were some aluminum after market intakes made by Offenhauser and others, but they are hard to find these days.

Dave

The 4BBL adapter to the 2 BBL manifold does not work very well, too much turbulence. I would probably stay with a Carter BBD 2BBL carb, they were very reliable. By '65, the 318 poly was primarily an entry level engine with emphasis on economy rather than performance and the Carter BBD filled that role well. If you really think you must have a 4BBL carb, you can probably find a cast maniforld from a '63 or older 318 poly and adapt a 600cfm Carter AFB carb. There were some aluminum after market intakes made by Offenhauser and others, but they are hard to find these days.

Dave
i would love to stay 2 barrel i thought someone might have made a newer bolt on unit these days the carb i have might bring t a speciality shop for a check and possible rebuilt

i would love to stay 2 barrel i thought someone might have made a newer bolt on unit these days the carb i have might bring t a speciality shop for a check and possible rebuilt

These are a very simple carb to rebuild, you could probably buy a kit and do it yourself. Be sure to install a new float while you are at it.

Dave

I don’t know much about poly 318s but if an LA intake fits on that , a first generation Dakota Holley throttle body might be a good way to go.i remember seeing an article in hot rod about junk yard set ups used to upgrade from carb headaches. My daily driver is a 30 year old Dakota & that Holley throttle body is flawless. Click vroom & off you go.

Last edited:
I don’t know much about poly 318s but if an LA intake fits on that , a first generation Dakota Holley throttle body might be a good way to go.

LA intake won't work on a poly.

I would stay with the 2bbl on the poly engine.

I don’t know much about poly 318s but if an LA intake fits on that , a first generation Dakota Holley throttle body might be a good way to go.

Major concern would be if the electrical system on a '65 model year car would be clean enough not to fry the electronics needed to run the throttle body. Poly manifold would not come close to fitting an LA series or vice versa..

Dave

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure im settling on the stock 2 barrel many thanks to you all for the help and info on this been busy today my car was running like terrible but a new set of plugs and she is good again the motor in the car burns oil you know the rest.getting a second poly motor refreshed from the previous owner.

For the Carter BBD, a very reliable carb, just looks a bit dated, even back then. Especially the later air cleaner stud mounting, although your '65 probably has the earlier style hold-down method?

About all you can do is ensure that all of the gasketed surfaces match with little gasket overhang, if any, into the air stream of the throttle bores. Might pay attention to any casting flash on the sides of the venturis, for good measure. An ignition point file works well for that.

There WERE "Power Pak" 318s in the later '50s and earlier '60s. Usually with a small-pattern AFB, probably about 500 cfm at best. Finding those stock manifolds can be tricky, at best, I suspect. Even the replacement hot rod aluminum manifolds, too. Not aware of any "modern" manifolds with better air flow characteristics for the Poly 318s, not that they might exist, for a price.

The Poly 318 is a very good motor, having its basis on the early Hemi engines. A much stronger-looking bottom end than any small block Chevy engine--period. A good rebuild should last for a very long time, if it's done right with good materials and such.

They were very good "drive around" engines, but still had the Chrysler heritage for performance, even with a mere 2bbl carb in completely stock form.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

mr c body would like to thank you for your reply as with all the other members here .i feel lucky to have my first c body and be here to gather all this info from all of you.i hope someday when i have learned this project i can help like you gentlemen have helped me.

Back