To part or not to part

Bennyboy96

Reaction score
IMG_20201018_114552373_HDR.jpg
Hi guys, my first post. I hope I'm posting in the right place. I would like to get some opinions. I bought a pair of 65 polara 2dr hardtops. One decent one that I have running and driving but with no title (I have started the bonding process). The "parts" car is kinda rough but chould be restored. It also has an original one owner title from 1965, window sheet from the dealership bill of sale and other dealership papers. Does this original title make this car valuable enough to not part out and just search for the parts I need for the solid car?

IMG_20201018_114544893_HDR.jpg

I personally wouldn't give a rat's *** about original paperwork unless it was in my name or someone in my family. What I see there doesn't look horrible, could be restored if desired, but be sure you want one cause you're likely to spend some time searching for parts. One year only body style doesn't help a bit.
Good Luck,

Not sure what it takes for a title in Iowa, here it takes an inspection and who knows how that one works. You can do what I'm thinking of, and get a title for the car, from Vermont. Yep, they will let you title a car even if you don't live there. Other members have done it, and I may if my parts car is better than the one I have a title for.

Like @Polara_500 said, be prepared to empty your wallet for the one year only parts. I started with one car, and now I have eight. (Four are parts cars) I found it easier to get a complete car for a few parts I needed. There are parts cars out there, but prices seem to be on the rise. If you can take parts off the good car, and put them on the rougher one, then it should be easier, and you'll get to know your car much more intimately.

Part it.
Especially if it has parts you need for the good one.

Vermont title saves you the time a bonded title is held.

Not sure what it takes for a title in Iowa, here it takes an inspection and who knows how that one works. You can do what I'm thinking of, and get a title for the car, from Vermont. Yep, they will let you title a car even if you don't live there. Other members have done it, and I may if my parts car is better than the one I have a title for.

Like @Polara_500 said, be prepared to empty your wallet for the one year only parts. I started with one car, and now I have eight. (Four are parts cars) I found it easier to get a complete car for a few parts I needed. There are parts cars out there, but prices seem to be on the rise. If you can take parts off the good car, and put them on the rougher one, then it should be easier, and you'll get to know your car much more intimately.
Like Locu - I started with one and now have 6, so he's gaining on me....... But many will sacrifice for the two I'm trying to build/maintain. When all is said and done I hope to have one decent project to peddle off along with some parts but that's years off for now.

Thanks guys, I think I will just use it for parts. I just didn't want to be a make a mistake if the title gave it more value. I have definitely noticed parts are kinda scarce. I've been looking for AC parts for the good car. As for title bonding I've done a few older street bikes with ease. My dad tried the vermont title on a 79 gs400 suzuki and our courthouse would not take it. I don't remember their reasoning. Could have been the grumpy lady working that day. As soon as it warms up a bit I'll pull the door and fender for the good car. Thanks for the replies

IMG_20210201_173007560.jpg
IMG_20201017_162242247.jpg
Heres the "better" one. Runs like a top. The interior is pretty good. Kinda ugly outside

View attachment 439475 View attachment 439476Heres the "better" one. Runs like a top. The interior is pretty good. Kinda ugly outside
That's the one to restore, the other one definitely needs more work on the driver's side.

I may be able to help you with A/C parts, if they are under the hood. I have two cars with A/C, I'll be taking the better parts for one car, and the rest will be spares.

The title's value is in being able to sell it clearly and cleanly with no legal stumbling blocks. You're already working on a bonded one for the other, so no problem after the bonding period.

That's the one to restore, the other one definitely needs more work on the driver's side.

I may be able to help you with A/C parts, if they are under the hood. I have two cars with A/C, I'll be taking the better parts for one car, and the rest will be spares.
I'd take you up on that. Mines missing everything from the firewall forward. I have a pump and will make hoses

The title's value is in being able to sell it clearly and cleanly with no legal stumbling blocks. You're already working on a bonded one for the other, so no problem after the bonding period.
Hopefully the bonding goes ok. If not there's the other way. Taking the vin tag and title from the blue one. Which the Dot probably wouldn't like

I'm from Iowa originally, jones county. Pays to be on good terms with the folks working at the court house :thumbsup:

I'm from Iowa originally, jones county. Pays to be on good terms with the folks working at the court house :thumbsup:

A friend works at the DMV, so I don't get hassled. Plus they don't care too much here. She even got me plates with the last two digits, to go with the year of two cars, 66 & 68. But she still won't tell me the name of the person who has the personalized plates I want for my truck. :(

Last edited:
Back