To Title or Not To Title (Get a Vermont Registration)

An old friend had a Shelby Cobra, one of those cars that Shelby was selling a few years before he died. Very cool car, but anyway... He ran the Vermont plates too. It was some sort of deal to dodge paying NYS sales and other taxes. I never got the particulars other than it was some service he was using that specialized in registering high end cars and "all the cool kids were doing it", but knowing him, and the way he smiled, it was a huge "FU" to the New York State tax gods.

At the very least you will need a BOS from the person whose name is on the registration.

It's easy here in Alabama. I got a clear Oregon title and a BOS from the seller of my Polara. The DMV only wanted to see the registration and the BOS. Never looked at the title. I still have it.

Every State DMV/tag office (whatever your state calls it) knows which states offers registration papers only and which are title-required states. For registration-only states, as long as you have proof of registration from a dealer or the seller (meaning "current registered owner", not six flippers ago) of the car/truck, I can take that NY/VT/AL car/truck and get a title and tag in OK.

Also, OK issues a bonded title for those circumstances where that is needed. However, OK does NOT recognize most other states' bonded titles. So, if a person in TX were to sell me a car with a TX bonded title, I could not title or register that in OK at all.

I do not buy cars or trucks that do not have titles if they come from a title-required state. Won't touch them. Legally, it is up to the SELLER to sell a vehicle with the right documents, not the buyer to come up with them after the sale. You end up with a stolen car? Tough ****, the State tows it off, and you might well end up with felony stolen vehicle charges. Simply not worth the asspain.

Last edited:
Back