To Title or Not To Title (Get a Vermont Registration)

Moseman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I would like a little advice. I am talking with a seller that has a Vermont registration, but no title for his 74 New Yorker. The seller is in Pennsylvania and has a good car, but only a Vermont registration. He pulled the car out of a field, but no original title. I am not sure about the Vermont registration only as Vermont does not issue titles for autos over 20 years old.

I have stated to the seller I need a clean title to register the car in South Dakota. Any thoughts?

Check with South Dakota and see if they can do a "bill of sale" transfer.

Even in California you can without a title, having it just makes it easier.

Alan

I could be way off on this, so please double check…. But I seem to recall that getting the Vermont registration was the first step in obtaining a title in a preferred state. If I remember the story right, if the car is registered via Vermont for like a year, then you can take that valid registration and the signed bill of sale to the next state to get it titled. Or something like that. I wish I could remember where I read that trick, may have even been on this site at one time. I just seem to remember there was some advantage to registering a car in Vermont.

Last edited:
Check with South Dakota and see if they can do a "bill of sale" transfer.

Even in California you can without a title, having it just makes it easier.

Alan
They are pretty picky. I bought two cars from a consignment dealer, had signed title from the seller and BOS from the dealer. SD would not accept that, they needed a BOS from the seller or a title transferred to the dealer. It took over 9 months to get it straightened out.

In every state your local DMV has a book that tells them what states issue title and which do not...
Some of the southern states do not issue titles on older cars.. The only way to ascertain ownership
is by way of bill of sale... Your local DMV knows this or can look it up..
So to answer your question,, no, you do not need a clean title to register the car in South Dakota on
a car registered in Vermont... Just current registration and a bill of sale...

Here's what I've found in all the years of registering some junk I dragged home from another state.

First, it's all up to your state's DMV for what they want. Don't listen to 99% of what others say. It may be on the DMV website if you look around.

Second, get every scrap of paperwork and bring it with you when you go to the DMV. Amazing what happens when the clerk says "You need blank" and you pull that out.

Third, your demeanor and appearance when dealing with a miserable state worker is huge. Smile, say please and thank you etc. Don't look like the scrap guy either. If you are very sure all your ducks are in a row, and you get told no, ask to speak with someone else. I did that on one car, had the DMV procedure printed out in front of me and the clerk said "no way" and pushed the paperwork back. I said "please have someone else review this" and the clerk got his education for the day on how to do it correctly. His supervisor even asked if it was ok to use it to train and I said "Please do" and we were all smiling when I walked away.

I've never sold a vehicle from Vermont, but I currently own one that is registered in Vermont.

I've never sold a vehicle from Vermont, but I currently own one that is registered in Vermont.
Just following up, BLIMP, registered and titied in Vermont or just registered? Would you be able to sell the car with the registation only?

To respond to all of the helpful suggestions, to title and register a car in SD you have to go through the Dept. of Revenue. All registration is done at the County Treasurer's office. Two musts that you need is clear/clean title and Bill of Sale. Not my first redeo in this arena. I bought two cars from a consignment dealer. Paid the dealer, had a BOS form the dealer and a signed title from the owner. SD would not title the car. Said I had to have chain of ownership from the owner to the dealer to me. It took almost a year to get this cleared up. If I showed up with a Vermont registration and a BOS, I know what the Tresurer would do. She would point me to the door. I am on first names with her. After all, that Teasurers office has titled about 15 of my cars over the past 4 years!

So you are saying if I buy a 1970 car in Alabama or NewYork, or any other non-title state, that
the Dept. of Revenue is going to refuse the accept the BoS...? Not likely....
Because YOU had an issue with a dealer trying to skip titling doesn't make all other states incorrect....
If you went into the Dept. of Revenue with a BoS and a Vermont registration in your name they will issue
South Dakoda ownership papers..

I have a Fury Suburban plated/registered in Vermont. I don't have a title for it...bought it with a BOS. The proof of ownership is the registration itself...if I ever sell it, I will provide a BOS and sign the registration over in the appropriate boxes.

I have a Fury Suburban plated/registered in Vermont. I don't have a title for it...bought it with a BOS. The proof of ownership is the registration itself...if I ever sell it, I will provide a BOS and sign the registration over in the appropriate boxes.
Okay, that is sort of like a registration. Maybe the Vermont registration will work. I have a request in with the Treasurer's office.

Thanks!

Right...the Vermont "registration" is the proof of ownership, they don't issue titles for antiques. In fact I made a copy of the registration to keep in the glovebox, and store the original at home.

I am intrigued by this thread and really have nothing more to add but the following question:

if Vermont is willing to register cars that don’t reside in their state (I believe you mentioned the current car for this topic is in PA), why not just leave it registered in VT but have it live in SD? I have to assume the new stickers for the plates are done via mail…. Just a thought?

Pennsylvania reciprocates w Vermont, so you can get a physical title if you register and title in Pa,
I bought a car out of state, no title, had to go this rte. Register in Vermont, then take to Penndot, and register in Pa. then you can get Pa title and use that in any state

I am intrigued by this thread and really have nothing more to add but the following question:

if Vermont is willing to register cars that don’t reside in their state (I believe you mentioned the current car for this topic is in PA), why not just leave it registered in VT but have it live in SD? I have to assume the new stickers for the plates are done via mail…. Just a thought?
I would and thought of doing the same, but I am concerned about being able to sell in the future.

Pennsylvania reciprocates w Vermont, so you can get a physical title if you register and title in Pa,
I bought a car out of state, no title, had to go this rte. Register in Vermont, then take to Penndot, and register in Pa. then you can get Pa title and use that in any state
The seller is now going that route.

if Vermont is willing to register cars that don’t reside in their state (I believe you mentioned the current car for this topic is in PA), why not just leave it registered in VT but have it live in SD? I have to assume the new stickers for the plates are done via mail
This is exactly what I'm doing. Renewed the Vermont plates online ($25)...cheaper than Illinois plates and why not, I'm following the rules that are in place. I've even had the local Illinois police run my tags and they couldn't have cared less that it's registered in Vermont.
Here's a pic of the back of the Vermont registration
20210803_100753.jpg

Back