To tweak or not to tweak, (That is the question)

canuck62

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I saw this car on the net a few years ago, and it brought back good memories.

I learned how to drive, and eventually got my driver's license with a car similar to this.

I always thought "the old man's car" could stand a "touch of cool".

Should we keep 'em stock or ad a bit of cool?

Thoughts?

33805850001_large.jpg

33805850001_large.jpg

Nothing of mine stays stock once I need to fix it. Once a wrench starts turning, the vehicle gets upgraded.

We need pics! :)

If a car is in extremely good condition for it's age and complete, I would feel like I should leave it stock. It would seem wrong not to. However, if it needs work or is missing quite a few hard to find items, I'm probably not leaving it stock. In the end, you will only be happy with it if you build it the way you want it. If you do stray from stock and decide to modify it, do it tastefully.

Besides upgrades in safety related items I like straight up stock or vintage mods.

For me personally, I would try to keep it as original appearing as possible. But things like wheels should reflect the owners personality. they are simple bolt on items and when the car is for sale I think putting stock back on is a wise choice. same with paint, its not permanent as we all know.

Beware of one thing. When it comes around to selling it, it will invariably end up being posted here.
Which do you prefer to hear?
1. "Nice car, I love it", or
2. "WTF was he thinking?"

It happens no matter WTF you do with a car. Someone is going to have some BS to spout about it so why not do with it what makes you happy?

Hey, I hardly ever leave anything stock either, unless it's (see my last post), which it usually isn't. My Newport was complete when I got her, but some things were either broken or worn out and she needed some mechanical work. I've always liked the way we used to modify, hot rod our cars back in the sixties and seventies, so, I'm going to try to build it the way I would have in the late seventies. The wheels and tires to my taste, the paint will be custom, but not anything extremely radical. The engine will have a few mods and the interior will get a couple of custom touches, like a custom console, again nothing radical.

When I said do it tastefully, what I really meant was, the world doesn't need a "School Bus Yellow" four door Imperial with a Daytona/Superbird rear wing and a snorkel scoop!

Since you are going to be doing a C-Body as a project, you can expect a couple of things;

1. When you finally do decide to sell your car, no matter what you did or didn't do to it and no matter how nice it is, it will never be worth more than $3500. :poke:

2. When you are at a Cruise Night or car show, you will inevitably overhear some moron say to his buddy that your car would make a good derby car! The saddest part is that he may be another "car guy", maybe even a non C-Body Mopar guy. :BangHead:

You can also expect to own and drive a comfortable, well built car that rides and handles quite well for a car of it's age and is every bit as nice, if not nicer, than other full-size cars of that era. In addition, you can expect people to come up to you at donut and fast food joints and tell you that they like your car, even though they have no idea what it is. Surprisingly, a lot of the people who tell you that they like your car will be kids and teenagers. Don't get me wrong, a lot of older people will tell you that they like it too, but I have found that most of the C-Body haters seem to be in the 40 to 70 age group. :(

So, build it the way you want it, drive it and enjoy it. I guarantee you will love it. :)

13092213-P1040157.jpg66 300.jpg

The Donk wheels don't do it for me either but it is getting harder to find decent 15" tires in an appropriate size for a C-body. I'm a Cragar SS looks good on everything guy and their 16" and 17" 1 piece wheels look OK.

My transmission guy had his 66 300 at Carlisle and it has a Wheel Vintique smooth wheel with trim ring and center caps in 16".

Kevin

66 300.jpg

13092213-P1040157.jpg

Last edited:
There have been some real highlighted abortions on this forum! ....but i prefer to see those wheels and tyres on a car than pictures of cars rotting in a field that will only serve as parts cars!
I'm a huge fan of road wheels! Ive even seen them on Ramblers and they looked great!
In the end whatever makes you keep that old car rollin and you lovin it .....do it!

Back