Today's FCBO "What the...?"

This is a pretty loaded car. Power steering, power brakes, torqueflite (many only got a Powerflite automatic), dash pad, electric clock. The front end is basically DeSoto Firesweep (uses Dodge front fenders). I don't recognize the seat pattern and I won't speculate on whether or not it is original. As another poster has indicated, the engine could be a 313 if it's a Windsor built car, or a 318 if it's a Detroit built vehicle. IIRC, the two bolts holding the rocker covers on indicate that it's a 313, but I'll stand corrected on that.

Is there any way to fix the damaged trim like shown in pic 18 and 20?

I believe there is. The shiny top coating is mylar sheeting which is either heat formed or vacuum formed onto the textured base. Once proper trade is resumed between the U.S. and Cuba, you will likely easily find a source for the mylar sheeting and then you can cut pieces to size and get them to take the shape of the base structure by using a heat gun or hair dryer. Start with the heat settings as low as you can get them and increase them as necessary. Mylar is fragile at the best of times, so patience and practice on another surface beforehand might be the way to go. The back side of a piece of masonite is similar to the substrate on the car panels, so that's where I'd start practicing.

Here is mine 1958 Desoto Diplomat 4 door sedan. Original colour unknown but at the moment primer which some one has sprayed over dark red. Technique 225/904. Flathead 6 + 3 speed waiting. Has not been traffic in long time.View attachment 71626

Do you have a body plate installed under the hood? If so, there should be paint codes listed there and any one of a number of people on this board can tell you what the original colour(s) was/were.

By the way, the "Plodge" was actually called Dodge Kingsway.

10860118303_24c62e0ef7_b.jpg

Yes and no. The Kingsway name was only used on cars exported outside of Canada/U.S. In Canada these cars came in three models The low level car was the Regent, the mid level car was called Mayfair (which was equivalent to the Kingsway Deluxe shown in the picture above) and the high end cars were called Viscount. Wagon versions of the Regent and Mayfair/Kingsway were called Suburban while the Viscount level wagon was called the Sport Suburban.

I thought that Dodges were only named differently in Canada at that time, I did not know they were exactly these hybrids, too. I really wonder what made Chrysler executives have it that way back then.

Do you have a body plate installed under the hood? If so, there should be paint codes listed there and any one of a number of people on this board can tell you what the original colour(s) was/were.
Unfortunately body plate has been disappeared during years.

I am going to the city where the Diplomat is this weekend.

i will try to go see it and get many more pics.

OK so I finally went to see the car.

The car has a vin and an engine number.

The VIN is LP227907 and the engine number is LP8084201.

I didn't see a plate under the hood, although it might be there, it was dark in there.

There was another plate on the right door sill and it had two numbers which were 152 and 5737. It did say the car was made in the USA.

The front floors have rust and the car has been painted the color it is now, but it is a really nice job.

The car has a rubber mat which seemed weird considering the other options it does have.

I took some pics of the door panels and other areas.

I want to know if the car has the original seat pattern. The material is either leather or a very heavy vinyl.

Now the important question. How much is it worth.

This site on the web said between the three models of the car, there were only 2346 cars made, so it is pretty rare.

DeSoto US and Canada cars: production by model year

If a Plymouth Belvedere of the same year is worth X, then this car should be worth a bit more shouldn't it, for it's rarity?

Back