Transmission dip stick shot off

dustin71

Reaction score
:moparts ghost:Gentleman, hows things? for me i just got my 1971 dodge monaco out of the shop. had the
Tranny pan gasket
oil pan gasket
valve cover gasket
and fluids changed.
I drove it up to the gas station and when i turned the engine off smoke started coming out of the hood. around 2 cups of tranny fluid came out of the dipstick. the dipstick was pushed off about 3 inches.
it seems that everytime i fix something, well then something else breaks .
Getting a little pissed off, lol

any ideas boys let me know !

strange,, my guess would be that it was overfilled and pressurized the trans forcing the fluid out wherever it could

7mag;5079 my guess would be that it was overfilled [/QUOTE said:
Thats a strong possibility. I never heard of fluid coming back out the tube. I have thoughts on it but I don't want to sound completely ridiculous.

Thats a strong possibility. I never heard of fluid coming back out the tube. I have thoughts on it but I don't want to sound completely ridiculous.

Me neither but I was thinking about it later and if the trans is pretty much oil tight and the mechanic did over fill it it may have been the only way to relieve the pressure, I did it once with a Cherokee that I had but it was blowing out of the main seal at the front. I forgot to allow for the amount of fluid in the torque converter and read in the manual the fluid volume and put that much in, duh stupid mistake I know, and I should have known better but then too

the crazy part is , that i drove it for like an hour on saturday and it didnt have a problem . then i drove aroudn the corner on sunday the car ran for about 10 minutes. once i got the the gas station and shut it off is when it happened. I rad something about the Air line on top of the trasmission could of gotten plugged some how. I just have to trouble shoot it ! :]:eek:s_dancing2:

at this point nothing is rediculous . I will post some new pictures tonight for you guys ! :]

If the transmission were to be severely overheated it can cause pressure to build up and blow the dipstick out of the tube (and blow an internal seal in the tranny at the same time). Don't ask me how I know this!

Last edited:
There is an atmospheric vent in the front pump towards the top. Of course it's behind the Converter so you can't see it in the car.

if it somehow got blocked It could push it out the tube from pressure. It most likely got overfilled. Get it to operating temp & check in neutral ( running of course ) & see if it's full, if so it was the overfill that puked. Seen it many times.

Butch

Back