transmission lines

John Kirby

Reaction score
My 66 Nyer has some slow leaks of transmission fluid. I put a billet aluminum pan (with a drain plug) on it and it slowed the loss considerably.
But there are still fluid spots on the garage floor. After looking at it a few times it looks like the transmission lines are slowly losing fluid at the
transmission connections. I've tightened them as much as I think is safe but a few days later there is a few drops of fluid again and you can
see fluid seeping out from around the connections. Also the radiator connections were cut and rubber hose was used to spice them back together.

I asked a transmission shop about this and they said to bring it in and they would go over it. Also they said they think other seals are probably
leaking. I really doubt that and think they just want as to squeeze money out of my wallet. The transmission was rebuilt a few years ago so it
seems unlikely the seals are leaking. No fluid coming from the TC area or other areas either.

Where can I find pre-bent trans lines for a 66 chrysler? I saw it mentioned on another thread a while back but no thing about where to buy them.

Remove the lines from the transmission connections and look for evidence that the sealing surfaces are all smooth and uniform. Plus that the lines attached squarely and are now angled off to one side, for example. IF the connections (connector fitting and the lines' flare) are good, they should not seep.

Are the connector fittings snug in the transmission case? Consult the FSM for how it all assembles, so you'll know.

Advise the trans shop that you'll worry about the seals and such later, after this situation is taken care of. IF they have found something else that you might not be aware of, respectfully ask them to show it to you, with the car on a lift.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

My 66 Nyer has some slow leaks of transmission fluid. I put a billet aluminum pan (with a drain plug) on it and it slowed the loss considerably.
But there are still fluid spots on the garage floor. After looking at it a few times it looks like the transmission lines are slowly losing fluid at the
transmission connections. I've tightened them as much as I think is safe but a few days later there is a few drops of fluid again and you can
see fluid seeping out from around the connections. Also the radiator connections were cut and rubber hose was used to spice them back together.

I asked a transmission shop about this and they said to bring it in and they would go over it. Also they said they think other seals are probably
leaking. I really doubt that and think they just want as to squeeze money out of my wallet. The transmission was rebuilt a few years ago so it
seems unlikely the seals are leaking. No fluid coming from the TC area or other areas either.

Where can I find pre-bent trans lines for a 66 chrysler? I saw it mentioned on another thread a while back but no thing about where to buy them.
IMHO, most of the time when I read "transmission leak", I go right to blaming the shifter seal. So many pan gaskets etc. are changed to stop the leak when the true problem is the shifter seal. The trans fluid seeps out the seal and travels down and around and ends up looking like it's leaking at the pan, or in your case, the lines.

TF 727 "How To" shift lever seal replacement

IMHO, most of the time when I read "transmission leak", I go right to blaming the shifter seal. So many pan gaskets etc. are changed to stop the leak when the true problem is the shifter seal. The trans fluid seeps out the seal and travels down and around and ends up looking like it's leaking at the pan, or in your case, the lines.

TF 727 "How To" shift lever seal replacement

Back