Trim interchange

swisherred

Reaction score
Will the roof beltline trim (bottom side of the vinyl roof) from a 68 fury work for a 67 newport? Both fast tops. They look the same to me. I don't have it or even the holes to mount them but I want a two-tone car.

Will the roof beltline trim (bottom side of the vinyl roof) from a 68 fury work for a 67 newport? Both fast tops. They look the same to me. I don't have it or even the holes to mount them but I want a two-tone car.

from what I can tell they are the same part for both years and models....would just like confirmation on that.

No, they are different. Your car didn't originally have a vinyl roof, or did someone fill the holes?

Jeff

Will the roof beltline trim (bottom side of the vinyl roof) from a 68 fury work for a 67 newport? Both fast tops.
I say yes. But get a Parts Manual to confirm always.
But you will have to drill holes to attach the trim. Don't do it.

PicsArt_02-07-05.28.00.jpg

Last edited:
Paint it.
From my experience, there are differences between 67 and 68 fastops. Vinyl and non vinyl added complications again.
Trim clips for C bodies are next to nothing.
I ended up using 68 Charger clips and even then fitment is questionable.
An "official" two tone is a painted roof.
Hope this helps.

I don't have any issues with drilling holes as long as I can get new sealing nuts for the mounts...they look similar but might be slightly different where they meet the passenger window trim...hard to tell.

I really like this...I want a deeper purple...but either black or white roof with white interior...minus the stripes and deaths head...and hood scoop.

00w0w_fXrQJUx0tDX_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
I may have a spare set of Chrysler mouldings. I have a feeling that I may have sold them about ten years ago, but I will check tomorrow and see for sure.

I disagree with wanting to do that.

Nothing is more beautiful than a Fast Top with no vinyl roof IMO.

View attachment 257791
My 68 fastop Sister Donor parts car was no vinyl and I liked it.
Too bad it was rusted out beyond saving.

I may have suggested to the OP to paint as an easier alternative compared to drilling holes in the car.
I disagree that he should change the car but it is his car after all and he can do whatever he wants.
At least it is not cherry picked of its vital organs or stripped for demo derby.

I know several people disagree with making changes...but honestly the car isn't in nice enough condition to justify keeping it 100% original. I'm trying to make it a nice car that I will enjoy for many years to come. If it was a rare model with rare options maybe then....it was probably just a decent parts car when I got it...I keep buying more and more for it....not because I want to restore it to factory...but because I want it to be a nice car again. I prefer the hard chrome trim line between colors.

I disagree with wanting to do that.

Nothing is more beautiful than a Fast Top with no vinyl roof IMO.

View attachment 257791

I concur:
20150514_151324_HDR.jpg

IMG_0199_1.jpg

Well, mostly:
IMG_0514.jpg

I have two sets of vinyl top trim hoarded away. If you decide you "must have" it, I might be able to overcome my separation anxiety to help pretty up another Newp.

Strictly my opinion, a two tone car is prettier than a vinyl top car.

John

I concur:
View attachment 257885
View attachment 257886

Well, mostly:
View attachment 257887

I have two sets of vinyl top trim hoarded away. If you decide you "must have" it, I might be able to overcome my separation anxiety to help pretty up another Newp.

Strictly my opinion, a two tone car is prettier than a vinyl top car.

John
I have no issue at all with it being two tone paint and no vinyl....I really just want the color difference with the hard line separation of the trim. I love good paint...not sure I want to experience the vinyl rust issues either...if you decide to part with the trim let me know and maybe we can figure something out.

I may have a spare set of Chrysler mouldings. I have a feeling that I may have sold them about ten years ago, but I will check tomorrow and see for sure.

Haven't forgotten about the mouldings. Looks like I sold the right side off of my '67 Newport, but I may have another.

Back