WANTED Trw power steering pump for 68 Chrysler 300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Davis

Reaction score
Contact seller
My power steering pump leaks bad in my 68 300. Someone had a 68 300 posted for sale and one of the pictures they had posted of the engine compartment showed it had what looked like to me a saginaw steering pump. If I can't find a TRW reman then how do I go about installing a different brand of pump and would I have to buy buy different brackets? Can someone help me out here? Thanks Dave from Ill.

Last edited:
Lares corp. And steer and gear. Rebiluds them. Also DIY kits are still available for that pump at your local parts store.

I did the conversion from the TRW to the Saginaw pump on my 68 a number of years ago. all brackets are different but bolts right up. can't remember if the belt was different. A picture with the TRW pump is posted in "my garage". I'll look for one with the Saginaw tomorrow and post it here.

I have a bunch of power steering pumps I'd sell but have you considered rebuilding your own and keeping it?

My power steering pump leaks bad in my 68 300. Someone had a 68 300 posted for sale and one of the pictures they had posted of the engine compartment showed it had what looked like to me a saginaw steering pump. If I can't find a TRW reman then how do I go about installing a different brand of pump and would I have to buy buy different brackets? Can someone help me out here? Thanks Dave from Ill.

One thing you should check before you go too far: These TRW pumps are pretty stout pieces and seldom require a complete rebuild. Most of the time, leaks from these pumps involve the large rubber o-ring seal that sits between the pump body and the reservoir can.

Order a Gates re-seal kit from RockAuto, pull the pump and just replace that one big o-ring seal. I betcha yer leak willl go away.

For clarity I don't get paid so I don't consider myself as " working " here.

I'm a member and I help out where I can as a Moderator

One thing you should check before you go too far: These TRW pumps are pretty stout pieces and seldom require a complete rebuild. Most of the time, leaks from these pumps involve the large rubber o-ring seal that sits between the pump body and the reservoir can.

Order a Gates re-seal kit from RockAuto, pull the pump and just replace that one big o-ring seal. I betcha yer leak willl go away.
All of that, 100% on target.

Looks like this thread stopped last year, but I'll try to get it going again...I'm looking for a new reservoir for my TRW power steering pump. It's leaking and the cover may just be a little too beat up to get a good seal. I put in a new O-ring and even used some Mopar brand RTP made for transmission oil applications, but I think it's still seeping. Anyone know where I can get a new/used reservoir for the TRW (Thompson) pump with the 5/8" return line?

Switched my leaking TRW pump with a complete kit from Boullchon Performance 843-744-6539. uses a Saginaw pump comes with pulley and all bracketry.was a complete bolt on kit. ask for Randy when you call very knowledgeable.

If the can is really rusted (they do rust at the bottom where the Oring sits against it) you can remove the reservoir (the can), have it blasted to clean out the pits, then use JB weld to fill the pits, then finish the repair with progressively smoother sandpaper. Sand until the pits are clearly defined but do not make them low spots. Then reassemble.

Still looking for a rear cover?
I have 2 pumps here with decent-looking rear covers, nice and straight at the edge.
1 has a bracket-tab on the rear with 2 bolts, the 2nd bolt goes in the center of the rear cover and seems to hold it on.
The other pump has a shorter tab with only the one bolt - it seems less obvious what holds the can on.
Send me a PM if interested and we can swap pictures and price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back