Turn signal question

NOOP

Reaction score
Hi guys - working through some stuff on a recently acquired 1966 Chrysler Newport.

Question: If the turn signal bulb behind the instrument panel is out, will that impede the flashing of the external turn signals?

When I turn on the separate flasher switch, they blink at all 4 corners. Drivers side blinkers work from the stalk, as does the light behind the instrument panel. The passenger side blinkers from the stalk has them light up, but they do not flash, and the bulb behind the instrument panel IS out.

New flasher relay installed so I don't think that's the cause.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Check the socket fitment and ground from the housing to the body at the lamp that won’t light.

Use a test lamp and probe each pin in the socket with the alligator clamp on a good ground. You can check tail lamps, brake lamps and turn signals.

Check the socket fitment and ground from the housing to the body at the lamp that won’t light.

Use a test lamp and probe each pin in the socket with the alligator clamp on a good ground. You can check tail lamps, brake lamps and turn signals.
Well, here is the thing...both front and back passenger side turn signals actually light up when the stalk lever is engaged, they just don't blink. I was wondering if the green blinker indicator light was out on the dash for the right turn signals, if that would cause that side to not blink, yet still light up.

Seems strange since the separate flasher switch on the bottom left of the dash gets all 4 corners blinking.

Will still check grounds to be prudent.

It’s not strange because one flasher is for the turn signals which is a 2,3 or 4 bulb flasher and the other is a hazard flasher which is 4,6 or 8 depending on the car.

The dash indicator and/or hood/fender mounted turn signals do not effect the regular turn signal circuit operation because the are fed in parallel with their own dedicated ground, not in series.

The dash indicator is grounded through the gauge cluster frame to the dash. The hood/fender mounted turn signals are grounded through the body.

Last edited:
Ah..okay, got it. Time to cover some ground.

If you used a stock type flasher unit, it will not work if any LED bulbs are installed. Led bulbs do not have enough resistance to cycle the turn signal flasher.

Dave

Also make sure you replaced the turn signal flasher module and not the hazard flasher module. They're in two different places under the dash and they are two different types of flashers.

The best flashers are the electro-mechanical sorts, which don't rely on resistive loads, but blink because they were circuited to do so at a given frequency. These use a little relay, internal to the flasher and some now venerable integrated circuitry to achive the timing. They run $8-20. Get a pair, one for the turn signal circuit, and one for the hazard lights. These CAN be identical, if you like. The old thermo-electric stuff does alright with old circuit elements, but fails miserably with LED lights.

I appreciate everyone's input. Found the actual turn signal flasher, and that was indeed the culprit. I ended up replacing the headlight switch yesterday as well...dimmer for dash lights was touch and go, and would make a grinding type noise when I would turn it. Half the spring was not seated properly...was just hanging loose, and all sorts of ashy debris fell out of the thing. Anyway, got the new one all hooked up, and now I don't have any damn dash lights, and the dome light isn't working. Fun stuff. Probably a separate thread for another day.

I appreciate everyone's input. Found the actual turn signal flasher, and that was indeed the culprit. I ended up replacing the headlight switch yesterday as well...dimmer for dash lights was touch and go, and would make a grinding type noise when I would turn it. Half the spring was not seated properly...was just hanging loose, and all sorts of ashy debris fell out of the thing. Anyway, got the new one all hooked up, and now I don't have any damn dash lights, and the dome light isn't working. Fun stuff. Probably a separate thread for another day.

WHAT sort of new headlight switch did you use? Not all brands are good you know. Is the new dimmer rheostat wheel made of plastic? The good old stuff had ceramic wheels. Check your low voltage regulator, behind the instrument panel, and if that works, then check for power. The orange wires usually carry light current.

You may have a blown fuse. Check THAT. Do you have brake lights? If "No" then check that fuse. Does the fuel gauge work? If yes, then a conductor isn't connected. Try cleaning up the OLD headlight switch, then reattaching IT. If things work again, get your money back on the new crap.

WHAT sort of new headlight switch did you use? Not all brands are good you know. Is the new dimmer rheostat wheel made of plastic? The good old stuff had ceramic wheels. Check your low voltage regulator, behind the instrument panel, and if that works, then check for power. The orange wires usually carry light current.

You may have a blown fuse. Check THAT. Do you have brake lights? If "No" then check that fuse. Does the fuel gauge work? If yes, then a conductor isn't connected. Try cleaning up the OLD headlight switch, then reattaching IT. If things work again, get your money back on the new crap.
Got it from NAPA - Part NO HL6571. Messed with the old one a bit, but as you can see that spring is just too funky to sit properly. If I recall correctly the wheel was in fact plastic, but all good now. Was a blown fuse so I am back in action. Electrical is definitely not my bag man. Stumbling through with all your help. Thanks again!

headlight switch.jpg

Got it from NAPA - Part NO HL6571. Messed with the old one a bit, but as you can see that spring is just too funky to sit properly. If I recall correctly the wheel was in fact plastic, but all good now. Was a blown fuse so I am back in action. Electrical is definitely not my bag man. Stumbling through with all your help. Thanks again!

Suspected a blown fuse. Yeah, that old switch is scrap. I saved my original, for the '66, and have a spare original for the '68, along w the spare instrument panel it came in. I try to buy NOS electrical switches whenever I see one pop up, or NORS. Scored a Filko for my '83 D150 last year.

Very happy you whipped this problem. I come from a strong electrical background, and have never been beat by an automotive electric issue, though some have certainly caught me off guard.

Yeah, t
Got it from NAPA - Part NO HL6571. Messed with the old one a bit, but as you can see that spring is just too funky to sit properly. If I recall correctly the wheel was in fact plastic, but all good now. Was a blown fuse so I am back in action. Electrical is definitely not my bag man. Stumbling through with all your help. Thanks again
OK, that one is shot. I have a plastic one too, but then restored the original w some good contact cleaning spray. You can sometimes score an NOS or NORS switch on eBay. I did, for my truck, but its the same one! Mopar used that switch a LOOOONG time. My 68 uses the thumbwheel stuff, so I HAVE TO repair that. Thanks to the Lord, the vendor threw in an extra instrument panel when I bought the car.

I'm blessed with some electrical talent. Started playing with dead appliances when I was 5 or so, and could make them work again most of the time, though I blew a few up, got shocked, burnt and such on the way. That **** never stopped me though it DID teach me to be careful! Old TVs and Hi Fi's are a real hoot to work on too, lemme tell ya.

There's a fellow on eBay who rebuilds old headlight switches. Gets a pretty penny for them that way too. For these common ones, I wouldn't bother, but his work is well reputed.

Back