Turn Signals Intermittent short

73Coupe

Reaction score
My gut tells me I have a bare wire issue somewhere, but electrical ain’t my strength and I have no idea where to start looking. The turn signal circuit has lots of wires and many hidden areas that could be bed.

When I got the car, the 20A fuse was out, so I put it in and worked for 2 months with no problems. Now I replace the fuse and it blows after a day, or about 10 times using the turn signals. I am working on documenting if it matters which side is on when it blows.

Before I tackle this next thing on my list, I wanted to see if this is a common thing, or at least something somebody else has dealt with before. Are switches known to short out on these cars? Could it be the flasher? Or just a bulb socket?

I think you may have a short somewhere. I would get a Multimeter/test light rig and a wiring diagram to test the circuit. I just has to rewire my entire ignition switch in the steering column and up under the dash.

Does it affect the hazards if you use them? that will help you determine if it is the switch or if it may be an issue down the line. I would first start with changing the 552 flashers and see if that make a difference. We are talking less then $5 to change them both.

Well, after changing the fuse a few times, paying attention to what was happening when it blew, I couldn't find any consistent event common to the failure or even pinpoint it. Until last night. Was driving home on the freeway, not using signals at the time, and there was a little flash and a "zzzzt" sound under the dash, along with a flicker of the headlights and a momentary drop in RPM. I immediately tried the signals and they were out. So now I know it's a bare wire on that circuit under the dash somewhere. Next gotta get the flashlight and go hunting. Maybe I'll put a new fuse in and wiggle the harness to see if I can get it to short again during inspection...

Keep a fire extinguisher in the car. I put a kill switch in under the dash just in case. The previous owner did some hack wiring jobs and it scared the hell out of me. I fix most of the stuff, but you never know.

Finally had time to look around up there, and found a plastic connector with a metal terminal end sticking out (sans wire). It’s the red wire with white stripe in the attached photo. This is taken through the radio hole in the dash.
I think this is the radio power feeder, as it’s on the same fuse as the signals (per the owner’s manual). The terminal had signs of arcing on the end.

So...I think this one is solved!

Thanks,

dash wiring.jpg

Back