Turn signals make all lights blink.....67 New Yorker

jaysix

Reaction score
So, I finally got the car running but now when I turn on the turn signals, all the lights blink. If I turn on just the running lights, everything seems fine but as soon as I turn on the headlights, they blink too, along with the dash lights. The alternator gauge also bounces all over the place when they are on. Any ideas on what could possibly be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
You have a missing ground connection somewhere and one lamp is finding it via the other lamps. You could start removing one t/s lamp at a time until the issue stops, then you'll know which housing is bad.

You have a missing ground connection somewhere and one lamp is finding it via the other lamps. You could start removing one t/s lamp at a time until the issue stops, then you'll know which housing is bad.
Thank you. I will start checking them out tonight.

I can understand the turn signals and such, but the headlights are on a separate circuit. Probably the easiest grounds to find will be on the front lamp harness. EACH side of the harness should have a ground with it. Possibly near the headlight wiring, on each side of the core support . . . one for the lh, one for the rh. Might verify that with a representative wiring harness schematic. I suspect it might be a 12-14 gauge black wire with an eyelet on the end, where it is retained by a screw to the core support sheet metal. Might be a similar situation at the rear lamp harness.

Please advise of what you find.

CBODY67

Back