Ugh different calipers... help!

Derek Simpson

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm finally getting all my parts together to do the 73 brake swap on my 66 Newport.

So I got a great deal on the left caliper on flebay and I ordered the right side from Advanced auto parts.. so I put the next to each other..... wow big difference. Just wondering if someone can help me out.. maybe a swap? So I can have matching ones

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4062.JPG

Apparently the B body caliper often gets misboxed into C body boxes. Show them the correct side one and get them to replace the incorrect one, and keep shipping until the correct one shows up.

I agree with Ross....had this happen to me when I did my 73 C-body disc conversion to teh wagon. I had a C-body unit for one side, B-body for the other.....took me days of messing around until I finally figured out what was going on.

These are the calipers that came with that spindle setup. You can have them for the cost of the shipping ($13.65 in a medium flat rate box)
caliper.jpg

caliper1.jpg

caliper2.jpg

caliper3.jpg
caliper4.jpg
caliper3.jpg

You are the best Greg! Honestly you have been an awesome seller. I would have no problems buying from you again

Which side do I have correct? All I did was buy the spindels , caliper bracket and mounting hardware

The thing is the B-body ones will still bolt up to the caliper bracket...IIRC....but it's the alignment with the brake pads and rotor that is messed up. If you can swing getting the original calipers, then you can just take measurements and figure out which caliper is the correct one.

I agree with Ross....had this happen to me when I did my 73 C-body disc conversion to teh wagon. I had a C-body unit for one side, B-body for the other.....took me days of messing around until I finally figured out what was going on.
Had the same thing happen to me, and I wrote that on the Facebook page where the same question was asked.

I did the swap on my Newport. Both calipers looked the same but when I put them on, one side would not clear the pads. I took it back to the shop. At that moment my mechanic buddy walked in and said, "What are you doing with the B Body caliper?" He knew it instantly. Ah-ha! Got the right one and it has been working to this day.

Yes, Greg, the two in your pics look different, but if they fit and work, I wouldn't worry about those cosmetic differences.

Last edited:
What you have basically are the same caliper of different design.
When the Kelsey Hayes, single piston caliper, on the "C" body cars came into existance, the caliper was cast as whats known as the "wide mouth" design in 1969 and 1970.
In 1971 the casting was changed over to the conventional design with the smaller "openings" that everyone is pretty much familiar with.

Back