Vacuum advance canister for '66 383?

mcmlvii

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a vacuum advance canister for the stock 1966 383 in my Fury? I've searched the net and come up with only NOS parts for big bucks. Rock Auto only has canisters for ~1972 and newer big blocks. I found out yesterday my vacuum advance has a hole in the diaphragm. I think the lever on my canister is the type to have a hole in it like this:
nos_vac_adv.jpg

The only new manufacture ones I can find online at a reasonable price are like this, with a pin at the end of the lever (sorry, not a good photo of the pin):
vac_adv.jpg

Thanks.

nos_vac_adv.jpg

vac_adv.jpg

Yeah, if it were that simple (not that drilling a hole is difficult). Maybe all vacuum canisters have universal mounting holes. I don't know. Has anyone done what Stan suggests, and if so, what vacuum canister did you start with?

In the photos above you can see the actuator rod of the new canister has the wrong offset to what I need, so I'd also need to modify the actuator rod to fit my distributor. Also not that difficult, but in my experience of bending a piece of metal from 90 degrees down to 90 degrees up, it usually gets stress fractures, or breaks.

If I have no alternative but to modify an el-cheapo canister, I'll give it a go. I was just hoping to hear from someone that has found a cheap bolt-in replacement.

I know this is old but I'm in the exact same boat, literally. I have a 66 Newport with 383 and points distributer. I converted to pertronix ignitor ii though. Still I'm pretty sure I need a working vacuum advance. All that's available that I can find are NOS for serious $$$

Back