Valve cover gasket

I clean the valve covers and remove all old gasket and oil. I use paint thinner on the head surface and the valve cover to get rid of all oil residue.

Then I apply silicone to the valve cover and lay the gaskets on. Align with bolts but just enough to keep the gasket aligned. Then apply another bead of silicone to the gasket and then put the whole thing on the head. Put in bolts and snug them. Do not torque.

The next day, tighten the bolts per spec. No leaks!

I wish I had known this trick back in the day. My Fury always smelled of burning oil and it was leaking from the valve covers down onto the manifolds.

The last set of valve cover gaskets I used were cork. I used anti-seize on both sides and tightened to specs. No leaks. I am looking to buy a fel-pro whole engine gasket kit for my 383 build, what do you guys think about the gasket set and the anti-seize? I like the anti-seize because it has copper and graphite in it. I use it for gaskets on super-heated steam pipe flanges that I install and years later, when we disassemble it, the gasket falls right off in one piece.

Back