Vented Gas Cap 1971 Fury

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Anyone have a source and part number for a new vented gas cap for 1971 Fury?

Tried Van's which has an A-body vented cap, but not sure if that will work

FSM calls for vented. Thanks

I don't think they used a vented cap in '71. '71 was the first year for vapor recovery, with the strange breather on the valve cover with the extra fittings on it, and the vapor separator back at the tank.

I mentioned previously that they changed filler necks part way through the 1971 model year, and it looks like it was to change caps:

early build:

gas cap early.JPG

Late build:

gas cap late.JPG

Rock Auto also shows a vented cap in their listing, but I don't think it's correct for a '71.

At least back to 1966, C-body tanks were vented and didn't require vented caps. I don't think they used vented caps on cars with the filler behind the license plate to prevent fuel spillage as the gas sloshes to the back of the tank. Pre 1971 wagons may have used non vented caps, since the cap was up at the top of the tank.

Jeff

I don't think they used a vented cap in '71. '71 was the first year for vapor recovery, with the strange breather on the valve cover with the extra fittings on it, and the vapor separator back at the tank.

I mentioned previously that they changed filler necks part way through the 1971 model year, and it looks like it was to change caps:

early build:

View attachment 571376

Late build:

View attachment 571377

Rock Auto also shows a vented cap in their listing, but I don't think it's correct for a '71.

At least back to 1966, C-body tanks were vented and didn't require vented caps. I don't think they used vented caps on cars with the filler behind the license plate to prevent fuel spillage as the gas sloshes to the back of the tank. Pre 1971 wagons may have used non vented caps, since the cap was up at the top of the tank.

Jeff
Hi Jeff

I mistook the pressure vacuum cap mentioned in the FSM to be vented. My gas tank has 4-vent vapor separator.

My filler neck should be early. How would I confirm that? Does the early filler neck gas cap match 1970 model gas caps?
Thanks again for your help! Ben
Gas Cap FSM.jpg

I think the best bet would be to try the cap off of your '72. If it fits, you have the late style filler neck.

Jeff

I think the best bet would be to try the cap off of your '72. If it fits, you have the late style filler neck.

Jeff
I sold the 72 Fury to another member in Pennsylvania. He'll reveal himself when he's ready.

Could I try the 1970 cap to see if it is earlier?

It's worth a try. The listing for 1970 caps is all over the map, and I'm not sure which part numbers are actually correct.

Jeff

1970 Gas Cap does not fit. It can't lock against anything, just turns forever
1 5/8" tab end to tab end
3/8" tab width
2" cap ID
PXL_20221214_184317735.MP.jpg

PXL_20221214_184324440.MP.jpg

1971 Filler neck on top
1973 Filler neck on bottom
Runners are bent in 1973 filler neck, but the fit of the gas cap is about the same in both
PXL_20221209_203722644 1971 Above 1973 Below.jpg

Don't see any part numbers. Not sure what to measure. Hmmm

Back