Very odd event

Ironram

Reaction score
Sitting in the house and my son says dad sounds like something fell in the garage. I get up walk out there and the back window of the polara is shattered and have no idea why. Nothing fell on it so i have no idea wtf but its still popping and cracking. Is this a pretty easy to get window or do i need to search one out? 20151018_195757.jpg

20151018_195757.jpg

I had the same thing happen to a 72 Duster on my property, and I have no clue what happened either? It looked like in one tiny spot, a bb had hit it, but given where it was, that seems very unlikely. Clueless too.

Did you recently have the glass removed and put back in? The back glass on our 69 Fury III was removed to fix a leak and reinstalled. It shattered just like yours, the glass was in a bind when it was put back in.

Did it get cold last night?

Had a window blow out on my Dad's 74 Satellite when the car was brand new and it was due to cold.

Is this a pretty easy to get window or do i need to search one out?
I dunno. If I knew what it is, I could tell you.
At least by the vent slots I know it's a '67 something...

Had the same thing happen on my Cuda years ago, never did figure for sure why. Was sitting outside the theater at the time, came out after the movie and found it that way. The glass did stay in place on the drive home though.

Yeah i dont know what too think. Glass has never been removed and was original glass. Car has just been sitting in the garage and i pulled my jeep in beside it about an hour before. I know it started to rain across town so it did cool down a little but garage was all closed up. Commando1 its a 67 Polara

Rather unusual if the window hasn't been reinstalled lately.
All I could come up with would be a Jeep allergy of the Polara. ;)

I'd call it a factory defect that the company knew about 48 years ago that they hushed up.
After being bought by Mercedes, their audit discovered this hush up and knowing the future implications, they raided Chrysler of its net worth and sold off the carcass to ultimately FIAT.
My guess is Segio is unaware of this whole time bomb situation, so perhaps a call to the Feds may be in order.

In summary it's a manufacturing defect that took almost fifty years to expose itself.

Or it was the mysterious glass goblins... :Dd

AFAIK it's a feature of tempered glass, stress causes it to fail and the glass continues to break up until the pieces are very small. In a closed garage, just closing the door of another car in the garage can trigger the failure. Early convertibles with glass rear windows suffered many failures as the vinyl around the window cooled and put tension on thed glass. I lost my first back glass on my Fury in 1971 when the car was only a year and a bit old. Nearly 30 years later I was still finding bits of glass in the back seat. Fortunately, no sharp edges, another feature of tempered glass.

Its not too big a deal it needed to come out anyways to repair rust but i didnt want too do that for a few months but i guess i wont be driving it

Odds are 1 in a 100,000.
Millions made so lightening struck you.
Odds are in your favor of it never happening again.

I'd call it a factory defect that the company knew about 48 years ago that they hushed up.
After being bought by Mercedes, their audit discovered this hush up and knowing the future implications, they raided Chrysler of its net worth and sold off the carcass to ultimately FIAT.
My guess is Segio is unaware of this whole time bomb situation, so perhaps a call to the Feds may be in order.

In summary it's a manufacturing defect that took almost fifty years to expose itself.

Or it was the mysterious glass goblins... :Dd
so you are suggesting a mass conspiracy here?

Ok window is now out and there is a bit more rust then i thought. Where can i get some patch panels or any tips on fixn it. I thought about taking it in to have it repaired but would kinda like to do myself. 20151019_204421.jpg20151019_204436.jpg20151019_204449.jpg

20151019_204421.jpg

20151019_204436.jpg

20151019_204449.jpg

Back