Vintage Chrysler Corp dealership pics

Need some help with this one from our middle new york members. :)

EJ Arnstine Desoto, 737 W. Genesee, Syracuse NY.

Mid 1950's.
Desoto1.JPG

2015. This building has been heavily remodeled as an Acura dealer -- but still has fire hydrant out front in same place, approximate street set back as old building, curb cut same place, approximate buildings dimensions too, etc. ...but here's where the FCBO Syracuse contingent can help?

ej arnstine.jpg

Last edited:
Syracuse guy here! All my life too. I'm not sure what you want to know.

That area is called "automobile row" for all the car dealers that are along there.

I don't believe the address is correct. I looked it up and 917 is where the Lewis Goodman Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial dealer was. They opened in 1960 and got their franchise pulled in 2009 after the government deal. Goodman Service: A spark from the glory years on Automobile Row

Goodman's store was Rusterholtz-Rusell and they sold Chrysler, Plymouth, Willys and even Franklins. BTW, Franklins were built about a mile from that dealership.

rusterholtzrossell.jpg

Syracuse guy here! All my life too. I'm not sure what you want to know.

That area is called "automobile row" for all the car dealers that are along there.

I don't believe the address is correct. I looked it up and 917 is where the Lewis Goodman Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial dealer was. They opened in 1960 and got their franchise pulled in 2009 after the government deal. Goodman Service: A spark from the glory years on Automobile Row

Goodman's store was Rusterholtz-Rusell and they sold Chrysler, Plymouth, Willys and even Franklins. BTW, Franklins were built about a mile from that dealership.

rusterholtzrossell.jpg

i edited my post while you were replying to it i think.

Goodman Service: A spark from the glory years on Automobile Row

i found arnstine dealer photo in an article written by Goodman's widow in link above ...that Goodman's dealership was at 917 W .Genessee. the building at 917 today was sorta like the old photo but not quite...thats why i asked for help intially.

917 W Genessee, Syracuse
Desoto.jpg

in meantime i googled arnstine and found collectibles on Ebay that gave his address as 737 W. Genessee. so thats where i found the acura dealer photo and saw a reasonable similarity to arnstine's 1950's building -- heavily remodeled.

:)

Last edited:
The Acura dealer is Crest Acura is right next door to Crest Cadillac/GMC. Crest Cadillac used to be Spector Cadillac.

Just up the street was Pepper Plymouth and that morphed over the years into Lowery Jeep. Up the street (786) a little more and there was Sam Dell Dodge. That was next door to Goodman's. Dell was a big dealership and it was well known that he owned all the inventory.... Not the bank... Sam Dell was actually Salvatore Dellano or something like that... and mob connected. By the time the third generation of Dells came around, there was a lot of cocaine that went up some Dell noses and the Dealership was gone pretty much overnight. They even bulldozed the place.

The Acura dealer is Crest Acura is right next door to Crest Cadillac/GMC. Crest Cadillac used to be Spector Cadillac.

Just up the street was Pepper Plymouth and that morphed over the years into Lowery Jeep. Up the street (786) a little more and there was Sam Dell Dodge. That was next door to Goodman's. Dell was a big dealership and it was well known that he owned all the inventory.... Not the bank... Sam Dell was actually Salvatore Dellano or something like that... and mob connected. By the time the third generation of Dells came around, there was a lot of cocaine that went up some Dell noses and the Dealership was gone pretty much overnight. They even bulldozed the place.

There was a Sam Dell Chrysler-Plymouth in Richmond Va., they closed probably in the late '80's or early '90's. I don't know if there was any connection with Sam Dell Dodge.

Walton Motors, 2301 South Michigan, Chicago Ill. Advertised as largest Chrysler dealer in the world from 1953 to 1960 in obit of owner Joseph Levy.

1945 Post Card
walton motoros.jpg

Same Corner Today - nice building
walton motors today.jpg

Last edited:
There was a Sam Dell Chrysler-Plymouth in Richmond Va., they closed probably in the late '80's or early '90's. I don't know if there was any connection with Sam Dell Dodge.
I'm sure that was the same, there was a bunch of dealerships and they owned a ton of commercial real estate around here. They started with the Syracuse dealership though and it was the last to close in 2008.

The whole "empire" had collapsed by then. Dell Jr. had made a lot of bad business and personal decisions and pretty much screwed the 3rd generation of Dells over in many ways. Dell Sr. had died back in 1989 and that's when it all started downhill.

I have tried all morning and gotta give up for now to try to find a vintage photo of the dealership

Rollie Barrett Chrysler Plymouth, 13055 Grand River, Detroit, MI.

A couple Barrett (coincidence ?)-Jackson type cars were sold here. Buncha Hemi cars, and of course C-bodies, among several people still own, can be found too today.

Small world. Remember this one? Apparently it was tossed around last year here in a thread commando1 started.

For Sale - 1965 Chrysler Newport 4-Dr– Only 15K Original Miles – All Original - Mint!

Rollie Barrett car.JPG
Rollie Barrett car1.JPG

Something random on the Internet is the only "vintage" photo I could find
rollie barret.jpg

Apparently he was still there in 1971, but given how fast this neighborhood changed, I doubt the 1980's dawned with him or very many other new car dealers still around those parts.

Rollie Barrett ad.jpg

2013 .. this is a bad part of town sadly. 12 ft tall grafitti a dead giveaway too .. takes time and very little intervention potential for the "artists" to do all that :(

The ubiquitous bricked-over (maybe just boarded over because its vacant) showroom windows, but the unmistakeable dealer building vibe (a big vacant lot to the right - North - of this building was part of Rollie Barrett's operation is also still there).

Hope we can find a vintage photo of Rollie Barrett's Detroit dealership in his heyday (1950 to probably 1973 or so).

rollie barret bulding1.jpg

rollie barret bulding.jpg

Last edited:
Normandin Chrysler Plymouth Imperial. Two locations 900 West Capital Expressway (still there), and 405 Santa Clara (gone), San Jose CA

Unknown year, probably before 1964 on Santa Clara

normandins1.jpg

1964, on Santa Clara (Courtesy Alden Jewell)
Normandins00.jpg

1970, West Capital Expressway location. Nice Imp huh?
Normandins3-reg.jpg

Today, West Capital Expressway Store is still there.
normandn4.jpg

Bill Henderson Chrysler Plymouth Imperial, 25800 Gratiot, Roseville MI

Mid 1960's (courtesy Alden Jewell)
Bill Henderson.jpg

Today, Roseville Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Jeep
Bill Henderson today.jpg

Mr. Alden Jewell has done us a great service. As i tap out of this thread for now, here's a few more. Any of you near them with interest, can let us know what's there today :)

Car Dealerships Set 3

Early 1960's, Fretwell's Chrysler Plymouth, 2815 N. May, OK City OK
Alden Jewell 1.jpg

1959, Vance Motors Chrysler Plymouth, 1355 E. 11th, Tulsa OK
Alden Jewell 2.jpg

1978, San Leandro Chrysler Plymouth, 232 East 14th, San Leandro CA
Alden Jewell 3.jpg

1965, King Solomon Motors, Plymouth only, 304 East Main St, Morristown TN
Alden Jewell 4.jpg

1963, Ciesars Chrysler Plymouth, 1939 Indianapolis Blvd, Whiting, IN
Alden Jewell 5.jpg

For our Canadian members, 1955. Verdun Motors, 3180 Rue Wellington, Verdun Quebec Canada
Alden Jewell 6.jpg

Cooper Motors Chrysler Plymouth, 25601 Mission Blvd, Hayward, CA
Alden Jewell 7.jpg

about 35 miles apart .. seems your 300 never got too far away from its immediate area? one owner car before you?
I bought it in Danville. Two owner, according to the guy I bought it from. He said he bought it from the son of a dealer principle. Maybe the car was a dealer trade. Normandin was unable to give me any help, as the dealership changed hands and they no longer had the old records. Maybe I should contact San Leandro and check with them.

I bought it in Danville. Two owner, according to the guy I bought it from. He said he bought it from the son of a dealer principle. Maybe the car was a dealer trade. Normandin was unable to give me any help, as the dealership changed hands and they no longer had the old records. Maybe I should contact San Leandro and check with them.

in additional to physical evidence, a dealer swap to san leandro from normandin idea has geography on its side too...danville area is 20 miles closer to san leandro than san jose.

presuming the original owner was nearer to san leandro too - he/she would pass a lotta dealers to go all the way to san jose .. hayward and fremont in particular were big enough cities to have a few dealers..more logic to support the swap theory.

"break a leg" with the search for info from san leandro :)

Back