Vintage NASCAR

image.jpeg

yes indeed , that was still just lap belts n open faced helmets . not much caging . don't the doors still opened n closed those years ?

To all the Bobby Allison fans that think he ran over 200, sorry it never happened. Here is the photographic proof and the caption to go with the photo. Buddy Baker was the ONLY guy to do in in 1970, and it was done March 24th. And, NOBODY ran 200 during a race. LeeRoy ran 198.1 in April at the Talladega 500 and that was in a draft. REMEMBER - the cars had NO sideglass, so it was not possible.
Later in 1970 Isaac ran 201 with TWO carbs, so that run wasn't legal.
RIP BUDDY BAKER - The fastest guy in NASCAR for MANY YEARS!!!!
Aug. 26, 1969 Bobby Allison 197. at Talladega   driving Chrysler Engineering  Daytona DC-93.jpg
DC-93 - Aug. 26 Bobby Allison 197. at Talladega test  _0001 (2).jpg

My dad & I use to listen to the races on the radio. The fords of Pearson & Lee Roy where tough. Remember the slogan "Mercurys got it" They where referring to the Wood brothers Mercury that Cale Yarborough & AJ Foyt drove. Then later David Person.

Last edited:
87.jpg

I also am sure they were welded, but this crash is what made them start. Putting bars across the fire wall. It was tragic, and as they learned, if a car got hit in the nose sideways hard enough the entire nose would get torn off. The video of this crash is on you tube and not for the easily grossed out

View attachment 112177
I also am sure they were welded, but this crash is what made them start. Putting bars across the fire wall. It was tragic, and as they learned, if a car got hit in the nose sideways hard enough the entire nose would get torn off. The video of this crash is on you tube and not for the easily grossed out

Well, on the #88 Daytona, they are not welded and use 4 metal straps on the cage along with 4 on the door and are bolted together. That's per the Nascar rule book for 1969, when the car was first built as a Charger 500. The Ramo Stott Super Bird has the same construction. I have seen it in person.
There are pics on the net of the #6 Owens Show Car Daytona that also shows 4 straps, not welds...
I can check my Nascar rule books to see when straps were not used anymore.

Just looked at my 68,69,70,71,72,72,74 nascar rule books. ALL of them say: 1" x 3" straps, 4 locations on each door to the cage. 5/16 bolts used to secure them.

Don White in the ex-Chrysler Engineering 88 Daytona.
Not many know he won 5 times in the car, making it one of the winningest Daytona chassis!
He even won with the '73' charger body on it.

former dc-93 ex-88 chrysler daytona.jpg

don white 1971 ex-engineering dodge charger 88.jpg

Don White - USAC dc-93 former 88.jpg

Back