vintage wheel identification help?

melvinew

Reaction score
I purchased my 65 Chrysler with two of these wheels on the back and two in the trunk as they were missing their lug nuts. anyone know the manufacturer of these wheels and what kind of lug nuts setup it is? would like to use the full set if I can find the lug nuts for the front. I know there a uni lug nut but I've never seen one that's in two pieces like that. every uni lug nut I've seen in the past uses an oval washer and oval holes. center cap has a v on it. They are 15" one of the pieces of the two-piece lug nut is sitting under the tire valve stem I removed it for the picture

wheels.jpg

Found the lugs that will work I think thanks here is the link for any one else that may find this later down the road. 20 LUG NUTS ROTO 1/2-20 APPLIANCE WHEELS,20 OFFSET DRILL BUSHING FORD 5 ON 4 1/2 | eBay
I just noticed you are a new guy and looked at your profile...

Ahhh ... Young guy too... Nothing wrong with that, I used to be one too, but it also hit me that maybe I should elaborate to be on the safe side....

Your '65 came new with left hand threaded lug nuts on the left side and right hand threaded on the right. Lots of people get tripped up on this... Kind of an old guy "system knowledge" deal.

I'll bet you had a hell of a time getting that lug nut off and I'll even bet it's on the left side of the car. I'll even bet that there's part of the stud in the old nut.

Many guys convert the left side lugs to right hand. This is done for a lot of reasons... Easier to get lug nuts, studs etc. Sometimes it's just that they find it too confusing to turn the wrench right to loosen, but in this case, you want to use these wheels and I seriously doubt if you are going to find any Appliance lug nuts.

Figured an explanation might be needed. If you already knew this, that's great!! If not, it's just a lesson in owning an old Mopar.

I just noticed you are a new guy and looked at your profile...

Ahhh ... Young guy too... Nothing wrong with that, I used to be one too, but it also hit me that maybe I should elaborate to be on the safe side....

Your '65 came new with left hand threaded lug nuts on the left side and right hand threaded on the right. Lots of people get tripped up on this... Kind of an old guy "system knowledge" deal.

I'll bet you had a hell of a time getting that lug nut off and I'll even bet it's on the left side of the car. I'll even bet that there's part of the stud in the old nut.

Many guys convert the left side lugs to right hand. This is done for a lot of reasons... Easier to get lug nuts, studs etc. Sometimes it's just that they find it too confusing to turn the wrench right to loosen, but in this case, you want to use these wheels and I seriously doubt if you are going to find any Appliance lug nuts.

Figured an explanation might be needed. If you already knew this, that's great!! If not, it's just a lesson in owning an old Mopar.
The front was already converted to right hand threads. I was planning on converting the rear as well. yes I do believe those rims predate me as I'm only in my early thirties and I've never heard of that brand. happy to get as quick of answer as I did. Thanks for the help.

With no tapered seat for the lug nuts, they used either separate flat washers under the flat part of the lug nut or a lug nut with the washer made as a molded part of the lug nut. The bolt circle of the wheel is specific to the vehicle the wheel fits onto. Later, UniLug came out to fix this issue, allowing one wheel to fit several bolt circles. This was an oblong insert into a similar slot in the wheel's bolt circle, with the insert matching the needed bolt circle of the wheel studs.

Back then, it seemed that Appliance Wheels were a bit more upscale in quality and appearance than some of the more common brands. Back when each brand was it's own entity, rather than being a part of a few large entities that own huge multiples of wheel brands, almost all produced "elsewhere".

Welcome aboard and enjoy!
CBODY67

The front was already converted to right hand threads. I was planning on converting the rear as well. yes I do believe those rims predate me as I'm only in my early thirties and I've never heard of that brand. happy to get as quick of answer as I did. Thanks for the help.

IIRC, the Appliance wheels were pretty popular in the seventies and eighties. They were among the first, if not the first, popular wheel to be made in Japan (marked on the back) and were mostly copies of popular US wheels. They were decent quality and priced better than most. A friend's brother owned a speed shop that was an exclusive dealer in the area for them and I helped move a lot of boxes of Appliance wheels around his warehouse.

Chiming in…….is there such a thing in the market as a nut extractor for a Left hand thread? I have a 70 Monaco and having a hard time getting the nuts off…. I can buy nut extractors but there for positive thread or right hand thread…they won’t work on the lug nuts on the left side
Any help would be appreciated

Back