Water pump woes!

carguy300

Reaction score
I have a problem!, after getting ac back on I noticed not lining back up, bolts. Power steering pump bracket not going back on right. Long story short, the pump housing I bought, right side bolt holes are longer than my old one. Have the same part #. Im thinking new one is non ac app? I dont know but there is quite a big difference in length. Dont really want to take apart and put old one back on, it needs major cleaning. Alot of rust pitting, suggestions? Anyone else come across this issue?

IMG_3289.jpeg

IMG_3290.jpeg

IMG_3291.jpeg

IMG_3292.jpeg

IMG_3293.jpeg

That number is the casting number and not necessarily the part number.

You might want to read this: #2780987 Water Pump Housing Date Codes?

From what I understand, that casting number was used in a bunch of cars and there are differences. One difference is the size of the heater hose inlet/outlets. 1/2" and 5/8" for the newer cars and 5/8" for both the older cars up to 1970(?). So, it wouldn't surprise me if there was differences in A/C equipped cars.

If you'd asked me an hour ago, I would not have thought there was a difference, but seeing this changes my mind.

Got a friend that works in a machine shop? Have the new one milled down to match the old one.

That number is the casting number and not necessarily the part number.

You might want to read this: #2780987 Water Pump Housing Date Codes?

From what I understand, that casting number was used in a bunch of cars and there are differences. One difference is the size of the heater hose inlet/outlets. 1/2" and 5/8" for the newer cars and 5/8" for both the older cars up to 1970(?). So, it wouldn't surprise me if there was differences in A/C equipped cars.

If you'd asked me an hour ago, I would not have thought there was a difference, but seeing this changes my mind.

Got a friend that works in a machine shop? Have the new one milled down to match the old one.
Thanks john. I got the old hose nipples out of my old one, temp switch still stuck. I may get mine sand blasted and ck it out real good, if I can just reuse it. Didnt want to do a bunch of modifying if I can help it! Im gettin to old for this kind of work. Always appreciate you!

Yup - been there done that. I can't remember if I had to shim or mill it down. My 67 383 cracked and the replacement had the same casting number but different lengths.

Yup - been there done that. I can't remember if I had to shim or mill it down. My 67 383 cracked and the replacement had the same casting number but different lengths.
Wish I would have ckd better before I put everything together! Hopefully I can clean my old one up and use it. Major rust build up where pump impeller turns. Hoping it will clean up!

IMG_2920.jpeg

I too thought they would be the same. Pictures prove it though. I agree with the idea of cleaning up the old one. A wire brush on an angle grinder will be your friend or if you have a week, toss it in a molases bath for a few days.

Got plenty of time, just having a mental debate as to which way to go. Hate takin back apart.

I would use the original myself. That guarantees the belt alignment will be right. To mod the new one you’d need to remove both to make sure the material removed matches the offset of the old on both sides of the pivot boss and the lower boss that has the adjustment groove. At that point, clean and paint the old one and be done with it. It’s only 6 bolts.
Travis..

I would use the original myself. That guarantees the belt alignment will be right. To mod the new one you’d need to remove both to make sure the material removed matches the offset of the old on both sides of the pivot boss and the lower boss that has the adjustment groove. At that point, clean and paint the old one and be done with it. It’s only 6 bolts.
Travis..
I think thats the way Im going, I KNOW that one will right!

Back