Weak lifter advise

Rscia50

Reaction score
So my 66 fury with 440 was coming along great, wilwood disc brakes done, new rims and tires, aluminium radiator amongst other things and now I have a weak lifter. Makes a horrible noise and I'm not sure which way to go. I have a mid 70s block with steel crank, other than that I don't really know anything else about it. I'm leaning towards the edlebrock top end kit, 2087 but would have to add some roller rockers and a new carburetor. I could just do a new cam and valve train for cheaper but not sure what cam or kit to order. What do you experts recommend?

IMG_4708.jpg

IMG_33151.jpg

20160602_122833.jpg

First things first.--if you do know you have a weak lifter/lifter position-- you likely have already put another in its place to arrive at your conclusion. If that is true and it is just that one lifter location it leads to the oiling port as being clogged or restricted.

Asking about roller rockers and a new carb. doesn't fit with your question about "weak lifters".

The hydraulic lifters get their oil from oil holes in their bores.

My two cents worth is to find and deal with what is causing the "noise" you are asking about. When that is in your past is the time to ask about moving to new parts to do something other than to stop a noise.

Last edited:
Well, I'm no motor expert. I was told by several people my noise is a weak lifter which wipes out the cam under it. So I was asking which route I should take to fix the problem. I would like to do some aluminum heads so I was thinking about doing the edlebrock kit which replaces the worn cam and lifter... I was only asking for friendly advise in which way I should go, not looking to be talked down to. Basically, I don't want to fix the problem just to go back and add the heads and cam I want to later. I want to fix it and upgrade the top end at the same time.

Well, I'm no motor expert. I was told by several people my noise is a weak lifter which wipes out the cam under it. So I was asking which route I should take to fix the problem. I would like to do some aluminum heads so I was thinking about doing the edlebrock kit which replaces the worn cam and lifter... I was only asking for friendly advise in which way I should go, not looking to be talked down to. Basically, I don't want to fix the problem just to go back and add the heads and cam I want to later. I want to fix it and upgrade the top end at the same time.

Take a deep breath.... We're here to help. The advice you got wasn't typical of the help you can get here.

From what you are saying, the cam is shot.... "Weak lifter" doesn't really describe the problem correctly... But that's a moot point. I would first be 100% sure that's your problem.

Engine noise can be hard to diagnose. I'd hate to see you spend the $$ on a new cam etc. and then have your noise be a spun bearing. First thing is to pull the valve covers and watch the rockers go up and down. If one (or more) doesn't move, then you definitely have a cam issue. But... you could have something like a bent push rod too. If it looks like it's the cam, it's time to pull the intake and get a good look.

It's always best to diagnose before modifying. Any good mechanic or engine builder will tell you that.

Once you have the problem figured out, you need to think out what you want to build. I like to see conservative high torque engines in C-bodies. IMHO, they will go faster, cost less and be much less of a PITA to make run right all the time. A car with a mild engine that runs right will always beat a car with a killer engine that isn't running right. But that's my opinion and it's your car... Cam shaft selection will depend on car weight, rear end ratio, compression etc. Get an idea of some of those parameters, get some suggestions and then call your cam company of choice with that info and get their suggestion. Don't be surprised if it's more conservative than others suggest.

Back