Weight of 426 Hemi?

65Coronet7165

Reaction score
Anyone know how much? Didn't it come with cast iron headers too?. How much does the 440 weigh by comparison?

The 426-HEMI would be heavier than a 440 Wedge motor, for sure. Cyl heads have more cast iron in them (as they are larger), plus the double rocker shafts and such. THEN the cast iron exhaust manifolds, plus the extra carburetor and heavier intake manifold, too. Might be close to 775lbs ready to go into the car?

Reason for the inquiry? Just curious.

Take care,
CBODY67

You should be able to google the weights. The Hemi is heavier for sure. The Hemi came with cast iron exhaust headers on the street versions. The street Hemis also had iron heads which helped to add to the weight. I'm pretty sure the race Hemis had aluminum heads.

Google found

440 -670lbs
426 Hemi - 730-843lbs

I don't know the reason for the 113lb range of the Hemi.

Cbody, I was just curious. I think I heard it was almost 900 lbs. Seems like in an E body or A body it would make it an understanding pig. Not sure that extra power would be worth that.

Thanks for the reply. Back then, cars with 426-HEMIs in them were only for straight line driving. But with the additional factory suspension upgrades, they would go around a corner better than a similar GM car with a 454 in it. As f/r weight distribution was not worse than some other similar cars. Most Chrysler products, back then were 55/45 f/r with almost ALL pony cars with normal engines being right at 60/40. Rear sway bars were used to counteract the additional front weight bias, usually.

The weight range might be a stock production vs a single-carb NASCAR version with aluminum parts and ONE carb. Seems like there were some aluminum blocks for racing, too?

CBODY67, You are a wealth of knowledge, and your answers are always so thorough and well thought out. And you share your knowledge so generously. Also you have impeccable spelling and grammar.
I don't mean to slight anyone else here, because I appreciate everyone's input, but this has been on my mind for a long time.

Mine was 690 lbs as pictured with a lighter crank, rods, pistons, aluminum heads, water pump housing and intake.

rsz_20160414_201129.jpg

rsz_20160414_201144.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

I paid extra to go completely aluminum. I weighed it complete with FAST TB installed and was treated to a weight of 420 lbs. Not too shabby for 540 cubic inches.
Mike
IMG_1560.JPG

Back