Weird tail light issue.

John Gillenwater

Reaction score
My 70 Chrysler Newport started having issues with the right tail light. When headlights are off everything works perfectly. Brake lights, turn signals, hazards all work until I turn on headlights then my right turn signal will make the right tail light go dark between flashes. Also my left turn signal will cause the right rear tail light to go completely dark. I chased wires for the right side and all seem to look good no breaks. Also replaced all the bulbs on the right rear light. I'm stumped here. Could it be a bad headlight switch or turn signal flasher?

Good luck and nice looking car.

Friend had a similar problem on his 300 Hurst. Once he cleaned the inside of each socket real good with a brush the problem went away. His lights bulbs were not making a good contact.

Unrelated - how are your lenses? I have two extra sets of '70 tail light lenses. I don't need them. let me know if you do.

I may be interested. I have one that is cracked. Mine also have the metal louvers. I can take a pic this evening to see if they are the same.

This is the style my custom uses. With the metal bezel removed

IMG_20161118_155241.jpg

That's quite different from the ones for a '70. I thought they were the same. I'd show you a pic of mine except I don't have any picture files on this new computer.

Very well, will do. I'm out of town for Thanksgiving but I'll get on it next week.

Back