Welcome, MoPar~Man

Hopefully I've chosen a user-name that doesn't conflict with anyone.

My car projects usually deal with any one of my 4 Chrysler 300m's or my '01 Ram, but what brings me here is that after a very long time in storage, I have to do some work on my '67 Monaco, which I worked I guess when I was 19-21 (it was my Dad's car). Got it completely restored, drove it to Chryslers at Carlisle one year (1990 give or take a couple years) and also MoParfest at New Hamburg (Ontario). My daily driver up until 1993 was a '65 Dodge Polara (4-door with slant-6) then from '93 to '99 was a '73 Plymouth Satellite (4 door) then in '99 was my first new car (300m which I still have). And in case anyone here might remember or know about this, I was a member of the Mopar Mailing List (back before there was a WWW, 1986 to maybe the early 1990's).

What I have to do first is throw some new wheels / tires on the Monaco, and until I get down and take a good look, something tells me that any one of the many wheels I have for my 300m's isin't going to work, - the wheel backspace I have is like 6 inches and that might be too much for the Monaco? I just need something to put on to move the car.

Anyways, nice seeing all these photo's of the old C bodies.

(...) I have to do some work on my '67 Monaco (...) What I have to do first is throw some new wheels / tires on the Monaco, and until I get down and take a good look, something tells me that any one of the many wheels I have for my 300m's isin't going to work, - the wheel backspace I have is like 6 inches and that might be too much for the Monaco? I just need something to put on to move the car.
Welcome! @LocuMob used to own a '67 Monaco called the Cicada and should be able to provide feedback. Lots of members from Ontario, including two who own slab Dodges: paging @cbarge and @Fratzog

Hopefully I've chosen a user-name that doesn't conflict with anyone.

My car projects usually deal with any one of my 4 Chrysler 300m's or my '01 Ram, but what brings me here is that after a very long time in storage, I have to do some work on my '67 Monaco, which I worked I guess when I was 19-21 (it was my Dad's car). Got it completely restored, drove it to Chryslers at Carlisle one year (1990 give or take a couple years) and also MoParfest at New Hamburg (Ontario). My daily driver up until 1993 was a '65 Dodge Polara (4-door with slant-6) then from '93 to '99 was a '73 Plymouth Satellite (4 door) then in '99 was my first new car (300m which I still have). And in case anyone here might remember or know about this, I was a member of the Mopar Mailing List (back before there was a WWW, 1986 to maybe the early 1990's).

What I have to do first is throw some new wheels / tires on the Monaco, and until I get down and take a good look, something tells me that any one of the many wheels I have for my 300m's isin't going to work, - the wheel backspace I have is like 6 inches and that might be too much for the Monaco? I just need something to put on to move the car.

Anyways, nice seeing all these photo's of the old C bodies.
As a general rule, front wheel drive wheels will not fit onto a rear wheel drive car. Most front wheel drive cars require too much wheel offset/backspace. It may be a a matter of styling. It may also be that the engine and trans are between the two front brake assemblies so the wheel mounting surfaces are out further than on most rear-wheel drive cars.

In calculating and measuring backspace for my 1970 Fury, I came up with 4.5" as about the max with a 15x7 or 15x8 rim.

Welcome Mopar Man. I think you chose a great name and car company! Ben

The wheels / tires from a 300m (225-55-17) will fit on the rear of the '67 Monaco. Tire diameter is really close to original (G78-14), but is wider. Eye-balling it, tire is centered in the wheel well, with room for a finger between the backside of the tire and the leaf springs. I'll be trying the fronts next, doesn't seem that anything is in the way on the front half of the tire, maybe the tie-rod will interfere on the back half.

The wheels / tires from a 300m (225-55-17) will fit on the rear of the '67 Monaco. Tire diameter is really close to original (G78-14), but is wider. Eye-balling it, tire is centered in the wheel well, with room for a finger between the backside of the tire and the leaf springs. I'll be trying the fronts next, doesn't seem that anything is in the way on the front half of the tire, maybe the tie-rod will interfere on the back half.
If it fits, please post pics!

Well, I can't put these same wheels on the front. The nose of the wheel drum won't go through the hole in the wheel (even if I take the center cap off the wheel). And at the same time the back side of the tire is touching the tie rod. The lug studs are about 1/2 inch from just coming through the wheel. So maybe an inch, inch and a half too much back-spacing.

Here are some photo's of the rear wheels.

monaco-wheel-1.JPG

monaco-wheel-2.jpg

monaco-wheel-3.jpg

Well, I can't put these same wheels on the front. The nose of the wheel drum won't go through the hole in the wheel (even if I take the center cap off the wheel). And at the same time the back side of the tire is touching the tie rod. The lug studs are about 1/2 inch from just coming through the wheel. So maybe an inch, inch and a half too much back-spacing.

Here are some photo's of the rear wheels.

View attachment 554393

View attachment 554394

View attachment 554395
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Experiments are good.

Back