Well, the Insurance company was wrong in this instance!

Does anyone besides me look and think "El Camino" conversion?

img_9902-jpg.jpg

Does anyone besides me look and think "El Camino" conversion?

That option was suggested several times last year.

A "proper" El Camino conversion would require changing over to coupe doors. That would be a huge amount of work to pull off. I do have all the parts that I would need: 1972 coupe doors and a 1970 formal coupe roof, which would provide the correct coupe A pillars and concave rear window like many El Camino's used.

I think it would be easier to just find a donor wagon and swap roofs.

Jeff

That option was suggested several times last year.

A "proper" El Camino conversion would require changing over to coupe doors. That would be a huge amount of work to pull off. I do have all the parts that I would need: 1972 coupe doors and a 1970 formal coupe roof, which would provide the correct coupe A pillars and concave rear window like many El Camino's used.

I think it would be easier to just find a donor wagon and swap roofs.

Jeff
I gotta agree that it would be much easier to fix it with another roof... I just can't help myself but think "if you ever wanted to... there's the car". It's kind of like my fuselage Imperial convertible dreams.

But yeah, I'd put a new roof on it.

The thinner, vertical tail lights on a B body wagon would look better on a pickup car.

The El Camino and Ranchero did start out as full size cars in the 1950's.

Jeff
But wasn't the El Camino and Ranchero intermediates in the late 60s/early 70s?

Alan

But wasn't the El Camino and Ranchero intermediates in the late 60s/early 70s?

Alan

If you were going to say "I want to build what would have been Chrysler's competition to what GM and Ford were selling in 1972", then yes, you would certainly use a B body wagon as your base vehicle to be in the same size class.

Jeff

Back