What a bummer....

Analog Kid

Reaction score
My brother was in town for the holidays and was helping me finish up rebuilding the brakes and suspension on my 72 Fury. It has been about a 4 month process since I've been doing a lot of sanding and painting along with only being able to get to it every other weekend. We were almost at the finish line too when we got stopped cold because of the wrong caliper.

I bought both a right and left caliper from Rock Auto and the left one went on fine but the right one wouldn't go. It was a hair too shallow to fit...probably meant for a thinner rotor. Took a closer look at it and the numbers don't match the old ones or even the new one. Somebody put the wrong part in the box.

What's up with the Auto Parts Industry? In the last seven orders I placed with Rock Auto this is the third one that has issues. One order I bought a pair of dust caps that were too small and in another order I bought two rear shocks and they sent me three???

Thanks for letting me vent here.

IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_2153.JPG

I always check my parts from Rock Auto right away, not many mishaps, but a couple and at least one I ate. But mistakes happen. They've been good to me when I've caught it.

Remember that RA is not the packager of those parts, just a vendor selling them for the manufacturer. Many times, I think they will get the items direct-shipped from a more local warehouse for the particular parts, saving freight costs. In the case of incorrect quantities, that's another situation.

As parts numbers age, applications CAN be combined from what the OEM originally specified. Generally, it all works, sometimes not.

CBODY67

Nothing like walking up to a counter with the old part, popping the box open and doing a comparison. That and not having the UPS kick my package from New York to Philly. It’s worth paying a few bucks more.

Remember that RA is not the packager of those parts, just a vendor selling them for the manufacturer. Many times, I think they will get the items direct-shipped from a more local warehouse for the particular parts, saving freight costs. In the case of incorrect quantities, that's another situation.

As parts numbers age, applications CAN be combined from what the OEM originally specified. Generally, it all works, sometimes not.

CBODY67
I should have added that I buy pars ahead of the repair I'm planning, and if you don't check them right away, you can end up with a paper weight, expensive possibly. I got parts for the Mercury 2 months before I started and 2-3 times more as the project progressed.

Yeah, quality across the board is downhill, and I never have had a problem with RA and any returns, in fact it's been scary simple, as long as you're timely.

Took a closer look at it and the numbers don't match the old ones or even the new one. Somebody put the wrong part in the box.

What's up with the Auto Parts Industry? In the last seven orders I placed with Rock Auto this is the third one that has issues. One order I bought a pair of dust caps that were too small and in another order I bought two rear shocks and they sent me three???

Exactly the reason we need the government to raise the minimum wage! :rofl:

Nothing like walking up to a counter with the old part, popping the box open and doing a comparison. That and not having the UPS kick my package from New York to Philly. It’s worth paying a few bucks more.

Back in the later 1980s, when calling up Mancini or similar to order Mopar Perf parts from them, that was something of a status symbol, back then. BUT when something went wrong, didn't fit, didn't work as desired, or whatever else, especially since our Mopar club had a sponsoring Dodge dealer who wanted that business, it became obvious to some (and me) that being able to walk up to the parts counter, look the parts person in the eye, "talk" to them, and (IF need be) extend your hands toward their neck was much better than screaming at the phone AND believing the person on the other end was really listening. Keeping your business more local than distant, in these cases, CAN work better.

I know, there have been issues with dealership people who weren't knowledgeable in hi-perf stuff OR who'd rather write-up a $1000 body shop order (when that was a big order!), for a shop that could buy from somebody else next week, rather than a local patron who might also consider that dealership for a vehicle or service in the future. BTAIM4

In a time before the Internet, and after, too, it's always good to walk into a parts place and find somebody behind the counter that is knowledgeable of what you're trying to do and can recommend options as needed, that you can build a raport with for future uses. Rather than a person who asks questions as the computer cues them to. Sometimes, you're better off going into their website and doing your own looking around.

CBODY67

So my solution was to order another caliper and then immediately return it with the wrong one.

I got the new one today and it will fit. I'm good to go.

Thanks

As a former Partsman who used catalogs microfiche and common sense I find the current AV/Napa what model is Plymouth under counter person somewhat underwhelming so like most here I use RA to source the part # walk into Napa /AV with it and have them do an interchange lookup on their fancy adding machine. If I get the wrong part after I gave them the # its on me.....oh ya and RA.....

FWIW... lots of good advice here. I would add to Doba's reply by saying that I often go to the part manufacturer's e catalog as the programmers at the parts chains don't know crap either.

The aftermarket parts industry died quickly after they computerized the catalogs. They no longer pay for knowledge and seem to think any former fast food worker is qualified to operate the counter.

Then you get the scumbag element, employee theft and ambivalence when returning parts they could never recognize without a box... By the time it gets fedexed to you, there is a really good chance that it's already wrong...
So my solution was to order another caliper and then immediately return it with the wrong one.

I got the new one today and it will fit. I'm good to go.

Thanks
Your caliper will show up on this board again... I'm certain of it.

As "they" don't pay for knowledge, there's not much knowledge to pay for, unfortunately. Same thing at the dealerships!

When I was doing dealership parts, I did what I could to keep up with product knowledge. Doing this, I didn't need to ask all of the questions the computer cues you to ask. Asking questions the customer could reliably answer was the key!!! Asking them a question about their vehicle they didn't know the answer to made them look stupid, they perceived. NOT a desired situation!!!

In the case of the GM parts I was selling, if the car was a Buick LeSabre, no need to ask about engine size -- only ONE engine in that model. IF the interior was "shale", ask if it's a "tan-type color" -- only one. Either tan-tone, charcoal/black. Didn't matter as to the carline or brand.

In the case of Chevy pickups, at one time, we had THREE pickups that could be called "Silverado". It was typical to ask "new body" or "old body". Of course, their new truck was the "new body", which 95% of the time got them the wrong parts. I determined that each one had different outer door handles. "When you open the door, do you push a button, pull upward on the handle, or grab the handle and pull?" BINGO! Questions they could answer and 99% correct parts the first time.

Now, it's all done with VIN, but you've still got to know how to read the catalog results! It's not all bullet-proof YET. Without a VIN handy, you get the same thing at the dealership you get at the auto supplies, unfortunately. And the "factory training" seems to be more concerned with how many WiFi devices can work at once rather than how a VVT actuator works, for example.

Some ways better than in the past. Many ways worse than in the past! Either way, if I couldn't get them a part from GM or Delco, I tried to send them to a reliably good place in the aftermarket or restoration vendors for it. Rather than close the door in their face . . . I wanted them to come back for something else, later on!

CBODY67

As "they" don't pay for knowledge, there's not much knowledge to pay for, unfortunately. Same thing at the dealerships!

When I was doing dealership parts, I did what I could to keep up with product knowledge. Doing this, I didn't need to ask all of the questions the computer cues you to ask. Asking questions the customer could reliably answer was the key!!! Asking them a question about their vehicle they didn't know the answer to made them look stupid, they perceived. NOT a desired situation!!!

In the case of the GM parts I was selling, if the car was a Buick LeSabre, no need to ask about engine size -- only ONE engine in that model. IF the interior was "shale", ask if it's a "tan-type color" -- only one. Either tan-tone, charcoal/black. Didn't matter as to the carline or brand.

In the case of Chevy pickups, at one time, we had THREE pickups that could be called "Silverado". It was typical to ask "new body" or "old body". Of course, their new truck was the "new body", which 95% of the time got them the wrong parts. I determined that each one had different outer door handles. "When you open the door, do you push a button, pull upward on the handle, or grab the handle and pull?" BINGO! Questions they could answer and 99% correct parts the first time.

Now, it's all done with VIN, but you've still got to know how to read the catalog results! It's not all bullet-proof YET. Without a VIN handy, you get the same thing at the dealership you get at the auto supplies, unfortunately. And the "factory training" seems to be more concerned with how many WiFi devices can work at once rather than how a VVT actuator works, for example.

Some ways better than in the past. Many ways worse than in the past! Either way, if I couldn't get them a part from GM or Delco, I tried to send them to a reliably good place in the aftermarket or restoration vendors for it. Rather than close the door in their face . . . I wanted them to come back for something else, later on!

CBODY67
I think you would have been a "go to" parts guy... all I ever expected from a parts person was effort, I often would go to the younger ones who made a real attempt. Nothing worse than a parts person who is happy to tell you "that's not available".

Folks who haven't worked in this may be disappointed how often that happens in current model year cars too.

The aftermarket parts industry died quickly after they computerized the catalogs. They no longer pay for knowledge and seem to think any former fast food worker is qualified to operate the counter.

A good old friend of mine that runs a retail garage had to fix one of his regular customers car that she had taken to be serviced by Jiffy Lube. After telling me the stories of the (local to him) Jiffy Lube he'd go, "Hey Ricky you know where they get their 'Tech's'? They go to the McDonald's up the road and say 'Hey you know how to handle hot oil'" heh.
She got Jiffy Lube to pony up for his repair bill on their mistake but that only added more to it. Month's later he gets a call from that Jiffy Lube inquiring on how much to repair a brand new Lexus that one of their Tech's cut through the A/C line thinking it was the heater core hose to do a coolant flush! ROFLMAO
Why am I thinking 'Up Sale' here, don't even think that phrase was known/used back then.
He had to ask on how far the ¿Tech got, like "Did he fill the AC unit with water?". Told me that the whole condenser & hose unit had to be replaced at that time (90's) no patching allowed? Said the part at that time (90's) was $450! He passed and referred them to the Lexus Dealer. LOL

A good old friend of mine that runs a retail garage had to fix one of his regular customers car that she had taken to be serviced by Jiffy Lube. After telling me the stories of the (local to him) Jiffy Lube he'd go, "Hey Ricky you know where they get their 'Tech's'? They go to the McDonald's up the road and say 'Hey you know how to handle hot oil'" heh.
She got Jiffy Lube to pony up for his repair bill on their mistake but that only added more to it. Month's later he gets a call from that Jiffy Lube inquiring on how much to repair a brand new Lexus that one of their Tech's cut through the A/C line thinking it was the heater core hose to do a coolant flush! ROFLMAO
Why am I thinking 'Up Sale' here, don't even think that phrase was known/used back then.
He had to ask on how far the ¿Tech got, like "Did he fill the AC unit with water?". Told me that the whole condenser & hose unit had to be replaced at that time (90's) no patching allowed? Said the part at that time (90's) was $450! He passed and referred them to the Lexus Dealer. LOL
"up sell" has been used as long as I can remember...

But the thing about your story that really sums up the Jiffylube customer... they thought having Jiffylube service their new lexus was a good idea :realcrazy:

When training in at the first MB dealer I worked for, the shop foreman gave me a few specail tools, including the factory oil filter wrench... many cartridge oil filters and most had a plastic cover for the housing... "without this, you'll break it... guaranteed". "disregard torque specs, and crank that baby on"... when I looked confused "that way they'll break them at the quick lubes"... Never saw an aftermarket tool work as well, but I know of a bunch of customers that came back to the dealer when the quick change place broke their filter cover.

Sorry to say, the whole thing gets to be :bs_flag:

In the '90s, our dealership Quick Lube tech started to come to parts to get new oil pan drain plugs. They'd be pretty much stripped. The general suspicion, at that time, was that it were the "quick lubes" that were doing this, over torqueing the bolt. So I'd get him a new one. Later on, GM changed their drain plugs and they were different, but still needed replacement. Even on the ones our guys had done all of the oil changes on. The plugs were cast metal and of an apparently softer material. Suddenly, an "engine oil drain plug" was a maintenance item!

Knowing that a customer might complain since (it was documented on the repair order) we'd done oil changes for the past year or more, I just charged them back to the service department. Not worth a dissatisfied customer over a $1.25 drain plug!

When I ordered in a bung nut for an oil pan, I discovered that only about THREE threads were actually in contact with the drain pclug itself. It was harder than the drain plug that screwed into it. Always one sacrificial part of the two!

There are some good quick lube places, who treat their customers very well, but that one "wrong fluid in the wrong system" issue can wreck that reputation quickly. As with other things I've seen over the years, it's not that a mistake was made, but how that mistake was taken care of that really matters to the customer. "Taking care of the customer", no matter what.

CBODY67

Back