What are you working on today??

Took my wife's Torrent to work and changed the oil, trans fluid, rotated the tires, checked the air bag light and decided that is best left for another day. It should be ready for the coming winter. Now I have to get our Christmas tree put up soon

Took the NYer out for one more spin this year.
When I got back the the shop, shuffled the cars around and got them ready for their winter nap.

20221204_131003.jpg

20221204_131025.jpg

20221204_135359.jpg

20221204_135453.jpg

20221204_155226.jpg

20221204_162334.jpg

I pulled the the not so good rebuilt brake booster in order to return to rebuilders for them to have another go at it. Then I figured it was a good time to replace valve cover gaskets while I had the extra working space.
Hope this expensive fancy gaskets work.

IMG_2588.jpeg

IMG_2587.jpeg

IMG_2582.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg

IMG_2583.jpeg

IMG_2586.jpeg

I used the same valve cover gaskets on my 72 Imp.
No leaks and waaay better than cork.

Pinion seal started leaking on the RR this summer so time for a freshenup. Added a sure grip, brakes, wheel cylinders, bearings, seals,and new Detroit Eaton springs, yah know since I'm already just gonna do the seal.

20221125_180407.jpg

Last edited:
I used the same valve cover gaskets on my 72 Imp.
No leaks and waaay better than cork.
All buttoned up and went for a test drive, passenger side dry so far, drivers side leaking more than the original cork. Covers off tomorrow morn, see what is going on.

Put together a better dryer vent diverter to keep the warm moist air inside the house instead of wasting it outside. Lots of internet videos about this. I originally got the diverter box that just used the screen but that clogged quickly so took the screen off but that just coated everything with lint. This sends the lint into a bucket of water and the hot air escapes through the holes in the lid. Gotta change the water as it gets dirty and evaporates. The hardest part was adapting the diverter box to the 4" duct. I could have bought expensive T's but was determined to MacGyver it. So far so good.
IMG_1166[1].JPG
IMG_1167[1].JPG
IMG_1168[1].JPG

I did the same years back when I had an electric dryer, works great. Can't do it if you're running gas.

Spent a couple of days in the shop doing metal prep on the trunk, rear floors, and inside of the doors on my 300. Before the weather went for a crap, I got the trunk prepped, new body plugs and spackle painted and installed my new trunk mat. (no pics of trunk as is it full of Christmas presents, my secret hiding spot!) Took out the rear seat, door panels off as they need a bit of touch up and working on some power window stuff. New rollers on the way, hope they fit!
Devin has all my PW switches, and will assemble again when they get back to me. Used the wire wheel on the floor under the rear seat and on the inside of the doors, POR 15 laid down on the floor pan, and Siless sound deadener installed.
Only got the chance to rust proof the inside of the passenger door before the temp dropped too much to paint. Looks white but it is a pale grey color.
Ordered my new wind lace, and removed the old ones. Also managed to get all 10 of the old alligator style clips that hold the wind lace out in one piece, and media blasted them. Will paint them with rust paint when it warms up and attempt to reuse them when the wind lace gets here. I cannot imagine that anyone out there re-pops them! Next winter blast of weather coming this afternoon, we had 13 inches of snow on Monday - Tuesday, supposed to get another 6 inches tonight.
The southern part of BC generally gets about 2 - 4 inches of snow PER YEAR! Mostly is just rains from November to March, and very rare to get below freezing for very long. We are now into our second week of -10 to -25 with wind chill last night. Gone through about 1/2 cord of wood in the fireplace in the last 10 days, but that's what it for right? CamShaft

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0195[1].JPG

Nice.:thumbsup:
The doors line up perfectly with the grill too.

Xenon and I changed the rear struts out on his daily driver this morning.

20221222_095610.jpg

20221222_095635.jpg

Took advantage of the nice weather and installed split mono springs, new hangers, shackles and Caltracs. it’s too wet and salty to test them though.

5687F65C-5190-4153-BBE0-65FA39C04948.jpeg

A68DA8B9-1DDF-44A4-AF65-EFD4D8606E1B.jpeg

Finished my ugly solder station. Tried to use only existing materials (in my garage) as much as possible. Handle made from fuel line. So far I fixed 4 drill batteries and killed one old bluetooth speaker. woops.

IMG_1209[1].JPG
IMG_1212[1].JPG

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been working on my 1965 Ford Ranchero - Ringo.
It had a giant transmission leak (C-4 automatic), ran hot, no parking brake and the tires were shot.

I replaced the transmission shifter/kickdown seals, put in a TCI aluminum transmission pan, Lokar kickdown cable (stock equipment was gone!), installed a complete parking brake system (stock equipment was completely removed!), new rear brake shoes (originally wrong and installed backwards!), installed a thermostat, aluminum radiator, Tefba cooling filter, a new set of BF Goodrich T/A radials, a set of KYB Excel-G shock absorbers, and have started adjusting the shift points by adjusting the vacuum modulator.

I have to replace the headlight switch and get the dome light installed and operational, adjust the parking brake and brakes, but the car is running well with a lot less fluid on the ground.

E0519368-84FE-462A-884B-E8481713F925.jpeg

5047D82A-AF93-4D10-9172-19AEEC8EFF59.jpeg

99AAB0E6-3EB1-4EB7-A323-20D415BC9009.jpeg

E41A8E78-3B02-407F-B6E8-31E52FCE28B0.jpeg

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been working on my 1965 Ford Ranchero - Ringo.
It had a giant transmission leak (C-4 automatic), ran hot, no parking brake and the tires were shot.

I replaced the transmission shifter/kickdown seals, put in a TCI aluminum transmission pan, Lokar kickdown cable (stock equipment was gone!), installed a complete parking brake system (stock equipment was completely removed!), new rear brake shoes (originally wrong and installed backwards!), installed a thermostat, aluminum radiator, Tefba cooling filter, a new set of BF Goodrich T/A radials, a set of KYB Excel-G shock absorbers, and have started adjusting the shift points by adjusting the vacuum modulator.

I have to replace the headlight switch and get the dome light installed and operational, adjust the parking brake and brakes, but the car is running well with a lot less fluid on the ground.

View attachment 589382
View attachment 589383
View attachment 589384
View attachment 589385
Love the wheels.

Love the wheels.
They are American Racing Torque Thrust 14x6 up front and Enkei 14x7 in the rear.
Once I get the vehicle more roadworthy, I may replace the rear wheels with Torque Thrusts.
However, I have a heater box to rebuild and several other things, before replacing the rear quarter panels and getting it painted. Lol

MOST ENVIABLE! I've been blessed with TWO of the little Falcon Rancheros, a 1960, and a 1962. The 60 had a HP 289 w the older C4 tranny and OH did that little truck FLY down the Interstates of Texas! A TX Hwy Patrol, one of the 6'6" 300# sorts pulled me over southeast bound on I-45, between Dallas and Houston late November 1987 after I "blew by him like he was standing still" when he was rolling at 85 mph. He then told me he had to run his Mustang interceptor up to 145 mph to STAY EVEN with me. I had no working speedometer then, and had to believe him. I told the Giant truthfully that my grandmother, who abode just north of New Orleans on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain was dying, and I meant to see her one last time. The Bear ticketed me for doing 85, and admonished me to "slow that thang down" looked twice at it with wistful envy, and allowed me to leave.

I bought the '62 in 1996, drove it with the little 144 in^3 inline 6 and the 2 speed Borg Warner auto until 2001, and removed that drive train with intent of putting another Windsor block V8 in it. But a Federal blackball came down on me as I already was writhing in agony from kidney stones, spitting out rotten teeth from periodontal disease, and drowning in livid green snot from the oral infection, and I had to sell that Ranchero, my '68 Disgustang, and '66 Chrysler New Yorker, all for severe losses.

Today I'll be installing a distributor I rebuilt with a limiter plate, one of Hoppy's nice rebuilt vacuum advances, new bushings, points and condenser, all NOS. I now can check my condensers with a decent little capacitance meter. The one I'm installing today measures at 265 nF, a little high, but just a little. I limited the mech advance to 10 degrees, letting the vacuum supply the rest, since Gertrude gets used a lot more in heavy traffic than the open road. I'll tote up the advance this weekend.

Back