What are you working on today??

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been working on my 1965 Ford Ranchero - Ringo.
It had a giant transmission leak (C-4 automatic), ran hot, no parking brake and the tires were shot.

I replaced the transmission shifter/kickdown seals, put in a TCI aluminum transmission pan, Lokar kickdown cable (stock equipment was gone!), installed a complete parking brake system (stock equipment was completely removed!), new rear brake shoes (originally wrong and installed backwards!), installed a thermostat, aluminum radiator, Tefba cooling filter, a new set of BF Goodrich T/A radials, a set of KYB Excel-G shock absorbers, and have started adjusting the shift points by adjusting the vacuum modulator.

I have to replace the headlight switch and get the dome light installed and operational, adjust the parking brake and brakes, but the car is running well with a lot less fluid on the ground.

View attachment 589382
View attachment 589383
View attachment 589384
View attachment 589385
I have always wanted a 2nd generation Ranchero... especially a '64 or '65.

This one shows up at some local shows.

N69pQuD.jpg

I built this slot car (drag) for a friend.

KDvy0BR.jpg

I have always wanted a 2nd generation Ranchero... especially a '64 or '65.

This one shows up at some local shows.

View attachment 589429

I built this slot car (drag) for a friend.

View attachment 589430
A friend of mine had one in high school. I always had an affinity for them and one became available for sale and I jumped on it. Since I have a 65 Mustang since 1982, I know most of the mechanicals. Thank for the reply!

Ironically enough, I found a front grill for the '62 at the same wrecking yard I now abide down the street less than 1 mile from. I liked that junk yard even then.

Sad how much of the Good Stuff has been destroyed even by caring junkers, to pay the taxes on the dirt they occupy. Make NO mistake: the Establishment aims to destroy EVERY LAST VESTIGE of the Golden Age which I and many of you were born in. This latest Chicken Little scare promises to stampede the Lemmings BIGTIME too. Sure, the atmospheric temperature is rising, as it regularly does for part of a cycle of about 25,000 years as Terra's axis wobbles ONCE per cycle. Ice Ages have come and gone regularly for quite some time for this planet. One now is going, going, and gone, for some millennia anyway.

Finished CAD drawings of the underhood wire loom connectors. Deciding on making up new ones or sending out. Either way should help troubleshooting.

16802276077077285901233132228627.jpg

Got the dash lights and dome light working. I had to replace a wire from the fuse panel to the splice for the dome light power and reconnect the instrument panel lights and add a socket. Previous owner stole that wire for the under dash gauge backlighting.

A9406788-91BF-4835-B452-05441A24811A.jpeg
F98E8A17-BD44-447F-947C-441D7EC7BDC7.jpeg
B1F320D2-A1A8-43F5-B2C9-0320675D631A.jpeg

Pulled the heater box out and am rebuilding it. New heater core and seals. I have had to make a few repairs to the case, which appears to be made of a fiber infused phenolic.
I should have it back together early next week as I am waiting on some spray adhesive and a couple of spring steel clips. I’m soaking all of the metal components inside the heater box in an ultrasonic cleaner with cleaning vinegar. I will paint them and bake the parts in a shop dedicated toaster oven.

6EDF59B8-04ED-452D-888D-5FC8D33C9CE3.jpeg
DE6887E0-3AC2-44B5-8536-1B5E343775A7.jpeg

3AF97288-F058-4FE4-95D9-1F0C5769B85B.jpeg

Pulled the heater box out and am rebuilding it. New heater core and seals. I have had to make a few repairs to the case, which appears to be made of a fiber infused phenolic.
I should have it back together early next week as I am waiting on some spray adhesive and a couple of spring steel clips. I’m soaking all of the metal components inside the heater box in an ultrasonic cleaner with cleaning vinegar. I will paint them and bake the parts in a shop dedicated toaster oven.

Nice to have an ultrasonic cleaner. My dad had one in his dental lab. I have to get my damned heater core out this Fall. Either it and/or the hoses in the heater box to it have started leaking. It wasn't much of an issue this year, but these things never magically heal on their own.

Scored this NOS speaker grill for the 70. Not sure if I can remove the Plymouth emblem and replace it with the 300 letters. Might not be worth the trouble, might just have to leave it for now.

339581069_1374993170017324_1594056261620087805_n.jpg

Scored this NOS speaker grill for the 70. Not sure if I can remove the Plymouth emblem and replace it with the 300 letters. Might not be worth the trouble, might just have to leave it for now.
Better than none. Use it until you can find one appropriate for the 300. OR, hang a 3 0 0 on that. True, it still has the Plymouth logo, but.... who besides We Moparians would know? I could lift that logo off, but don't recommend you do so.

But a Federal blackball came down on me as I already was writhing in agony from kidney stones, spitting out rotten teeth from periodontal disease, and drowning in livid green snot from the oral infection, and I had to sell that Ranchero, my '68 Disgustang, and '66 Chrysler New Yorker, all for severe losses.

Nice to have an ultrasonic cleaner. My dad had one in his dental lab. I have to get my damned heater core out this Fall. Either it and/or the hoses in the heater box to it have started leaking. It wasn't much of an issue this year, but these things never magically heal on their own.
:poke:
:lol:

Beware of these restrictors in the new fuel filters! Take it out before installing the filter! Smash it in a vice like I did after losing WO acceleration in the car, then f'n around trying to find out why.

20230407_135840.jpg

Verily, methinks I've got a stone starting to cut me innards a wee bit this week! Deo gratias, the Usual remedy, diuretics and DOPE are readily available, so w dope, I have hope, and cope. And this too will come to pass....

The occasional little stone reminds me that my normal piss and vinegar nature still produces predictable results. Since many of these results can be enumerated as sundry immunities to common infectious maladies, I suffer the grain of cystine w a grain of salt, narcotic salt that is.

Finished up with the heater box reseal, installed it. I have a new glovebox and dash bezel to install, but have shifted gears to get Bruno, our 2010 Holiday Rambler Endeavor ready for a road trip. Changed the oil and instead of wrestling with filling the engine with a funnel and contorting myself, I made it a little easier by making a fill tube extension out of 3/4” schedule 40 PVC pipe and a couple of 45 degree elbows.
The 400 JP Cummins takes 26 quarts.

E597AC69-84EC-4344-A54C-167B340DD4BC.jpeg
FD33209D-6134-4C6A-A880-4086DDCCC316.jpeg
AC593143-9AC9-4B9B-B22C-8230EC6AB6A1.jpeg
6882EE71-A051-496D-B136-E3FEA2593068.jpeg

Went for a spin this morning and met up with the original owners nephew to show him what I've been up to for the last year and he was absolutely thrilled and said it's list like he remembered it in '71. Now I'm enjoying a beer and the view.

IMG_20230415_163842823.jpg

So found these at the spring fling, they looked close. Tried them on a wheel and you might be able to make them work. Were they designed for a particular wheel or just kind of a universal thing? Thanks

20230416_152645.jpg
20230416_152653.jpg

Fixed my ugly *** shop glasses with JB weld and bought my first Octoberfest beer. I know I shouldn't encourage all this "rush to the next season" thing but sometimes in october its all gone.

IMG_1717[1].JPG

Back