What are your favorite formal upgrades?

olsn500

Reaction score
What are your favorite upgrades to a formal?
The first is usually to scrap the Lean Burn and get an Eddy. That's what I did anyway.

One of none blue leather wrapped steering wheel on a T&T steering column on my 78 NYB.

DSC01969 - Copy.JPG

My '79 Dip Wagon had lean burn on it, and I couldn't WAIT to get red of it. We swapped it out, and replaced with an Edelbrock. That was 10 years and about 12K miles ago, haven't regretted for a single mile........

DiplomatHillwood.jpg

My '79 Dip Wagon had lean burn on it, and I couldn't WAIT to get red of it. We swapped it out, and replaced with an Edelbrock. That was 10 years and about 12K miles ago, haven't regretted for a single mile........
Very nice!
My favorite formal upgrade has slab sides...

Tinting my back window of the '78 New Yorker St Regis Coupe so the beautiful red interior does not turn orange. That is a large rear window. The film is removable and was placed on the outside. This picture is before it was done.
100_0083_resized.JPG

Tinting my back window of the '78 New Yorker St Regis Coupe so the beautiful red interior does not turn orange. That is a large rear window. The film is removable and was placed on the outside. This picture is before it was done. View attachment 88838
That is a big back window, my mom had a 78 and it was hot in the back seat in the summer. Some tint would sure have been nice.

I love the tilt column. Was that a ton of work, or are they fairly similar?

The Tilt & Telescoping column was a factory option on my NYB. The leather wrapped steering wheel came out of a 77 Daytona Charger. A tree fell on it and crushed the passenger side A-Pillar. I had to put the steering wheel on a lathe and mill off about a half inch of the acrylic hub. It bolted right on the T&T column.

Never before seen pictures of my steering wheel project...

Old steering wheel....

DSC01957.JPG

Daytona Charger steering wheel before machining...
DSC01959.JPG

After machining....
DSC01965.JPG

Here's a kicker, I have a NOS steering wheel on the shelf. It stays there because I'm afraid to use it.
I am aware of it... were it a rim blow model it would be on my shelf by now...

Back