What did you do to your C-body today....

I wanted to install seat belts in the rear seat of my 300L. Gotta have them for the grandkids.

I pulled the seat bottom and discovered the foam had hardened and turned to dust... So that meant a bit more work.

Rear floor covered in foam dust.

View attachment 621718

A tag shows this is a Legendary cover made in 1997!

View attachment 621719

Foam was so dry it crumbled.

View attachment 621720

And interesting that it had a Forward Look logo.

View attachment 621721

Burlap was bad too.

View attachment 621722

New burlap with the metal stays inserted. That was a PITA.

View attachment 621723

I forgot to take a pic of the new foam. I used some 1" 44lb high density foam I got from Amazon.

I like to do this when it's warm out, but 55 degrees was the best it's going to get for a while. With the cold and a used cover, it was really tough to get the bottom of the cover down far enough to clip it with the hog rings. I can't remember where I saw this trick, but it works nice... You use zip-ties to pull everything down and stretch the cover. Push and tighten until the cover is in place and you can use the hog rings to secure it.

View attachment 621724

Finished... Came out OK.. I think if the cover was new, and stretched easier, I could have done a little better, but it's good. Still have to do the seat belts!

View attachment 621725

Very nice work, John!

Finally got paint in the trunk. This is ready for assembly and then put to bed for the season.

IMG_0975.jpeg

I drove it to work yesterday. Still a little dark at 6:00 am. Seems I have a dash light out over by the ammeter. Things you don’t know until you do it in the dark.
IMG_7538.jpeg

Installed a new steering wheel. The original one needs work on the horns. Put this grant wheel on in the meantime, horn works again and my 6'3" *** can get in and out easier now.
IMG_20231013_202006_692.jpg

Which vendor did you finally go with?
I went with PPG Shop line single stage from Colours Inc. Not the best paint for single stage, but I here their base coat/clear coat is really good. It is the closest color match to the paint chip that I could find.

Swapped out the Holley carb on the 69 Imperial with the Carter AVS I had purchased from @cbarge last June at the C Body Show.
Had it sent to @Dana to have rebuilt, and of coarse it fired up on the first turn of the key, and was running smoothly.
The only thing needed for the swap was a new fuel line to the carb from Inline Tube.

I went with PPG Shop line single stage from Colours Inc. Not the best paint for single stage, but I here their base coat/clear coat is really good. It is the closest color match to the paint chip that I could find.
Shopline and Omni are excellent paint lines that are easier on the budget, we use both a lot at my friends shop, usually for doing exactly what you're doing.

Best bang for the buck seems to be urethane BC or single stage for interior and underwood, jambs etc and then waterborne for the exterior.

20230915_102601.jpg
20230915_102613.jpg
20230915_135835.jpg
received_695189859177346.jpeg
received_2082591038744461.jpeg
received_242507718790914.jpeg

Shopline and Omni are excellent paint lines that are easier on the budget, we use both a lot at my friends shop, usually for doing exactly what you're doing.

Best bang for the buck seems to be urethane BC or single stage for interior and underwood, jambs etc and then waterborne for the exterior.

View attachment 622257View attachment 622258View attachment 622259View attachment 622260View attachment 622261View attachment 622262
Those are excellent results!

Started to service the car getting ready for storage. Changed the antifreeze and during warm up I noticed excessive blow by coming out of the breather. On investigation I found that I had no vacuum going to the pcv at all. Checked the vacuum hose and noticed the port was completely blocked off at the carb with a carbon like substance. Tried to clean it out with no luck. Have to remove the carb and see what’s happening. So I figure I will get a new base gasket this week and look at it later.

I installed a new ground cable on Tux, as much as I wanted to keep it original. The cable was too far gone, the terminal end had been replaced and the shielding on cable crumbling.
The only place I was able to get the Imperial length was from Rockauto. I tried Evans wiring, who I usually have good success with. The cable is made in USA nice terminal end and the length needed.
Now to find a correct looking terminal end for the positive cable. Also need to find a nice group 27 battery, seems no one stocks 27 batteries anymore. I have three of the restoration batteries here, but all dead.

IMG_4779.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

Last edited:
That blue is amazing! ^^^
Dodge PB3 Intense Blue, same colour as my 2001 Ram Sport

The owner wanted to do the 'Cuda blue, he came by when we were repainting my Ram and instantly fell in love with the Intense blue.

I can't blame him as I did too and it lead to one of the reasons I bought this particular truck.
20230621_193245.jpg

I had one just like that, 2001, with the road/rally wheels that I had painted same color blue and left center cap and trim rings chrome.

I installed a new ground cable on Tux, as much as I wanted to keep it original. The cable was too far gone, the terminal end had been replaced and the shielding on cable crumbling.
The only place I was able to get the Imperial length was from Rockauto. I tried Evans wiring, who I usually have good success with. The cable is made in USA nice terminal end and the length needed.
Now to find a correct looking terminal end for the positive cable. Also need to find a nice group 27 battery, seems no one stocks 27 batteries anymore. I have three of the restoration batteries here, but all dead.

View attachment 622680

View attachment 622681

Hey Boyd: I recently purchased an Interstate Group 27 battery from Costco. Don't know if there is a Costco up your way or not.

Hey Boyd: I recently purchased an Interstate Group 27 battery from Costco. Don't know if there is a Costco up your way or not.
Thanks. Yes plenty of Costco stores around me. I get my batteries from them, but nothing in 27 size in stock. I will see about ordering. I surprised that there are no Costco stores in the Buffalo area.
The listings on the Costco Canada site only go back to 99.

Back