What Do You Bring on Long Trips or Rescues?

A medium sized hammer and brake drum puller for seized drums.
Make sure you have proper disc brake rims if car has discs.
I have some 4 pattern unilug rims that I have made up just for rescues.
They have 4.5,4.3/4,5,5.5 patterns.
Battery pack saw for cutting problem exhaust pipes

I carry a jump box rather than cables.

People with newer cars or trucks are reluctant to offer to hook up the cables to their car because of being afraid of frying their electronics. Since I've seen a few dumb asses hook up cables wrong, I can't blame them.

My cheap Harbor Fright jump box works great and then I don't depend on anyone else. Easier to use and doesn't too much more space in the trunk. Don't have to maneuver the cars together either.

Fact is many new cars can NOT be jump-started, and are designed not to be. My son's FIAT 500 had a dead battery recently, and I went to go jump it with my VW Passat. Could not get a good connection to happen. After 20 minutes, I called AAA. The wrecker guy said my VW could not jump another vehicle, and it had some sort of electronic protection to prevent it. He jumped the FIAT with no problem. My cables were nice, thick 0-gauge cables with nice, big clips. Weird.

I've recently purchased a jump-box. I have no idea why it took me forever to do that!

Fact is many new cars can NOT be jump-started, and are designed not to be. My son's FIAT 500 had a dead battery recently, and I went to go jump it with my VW Passat. Could not get a good connection to happen. After 20 minutes, I called AAA. The wrecker guy said my VW could not jump another vehicle, and it had some sort of electronic protection to prevent it. He jumped the FIAT with no problem. My cables were nice, thick 0-gauge cables with nice, big clips. Weird.

I've recently purchased a jump-box. I have no idea why it took me forever to do that!
Gotta tell this story now....

My youngest son calls me from his girlfriend's house and said he needed a jump start on her car. She was at work and he was using her car.

I got there with the jump box and her car was a really beat up Prius. I mean really beat up which I always found strange. She had a really nice house, good job (RN at local hospital) etc. The Prius looked like something that should have been junked a couple years before and just looked out of place.

Anyway, we found there was a set of contacts under the hood that we could use to jump start the gas engine.

While its really not got a lot to do with this thread, it was fun to tell people we had jump started an electric car.

A buddy and I drove about 250 miles one-way to buy a 1962 Chevy SS hardtop; this, back in about 1994 or so. "Running and driving", the ad said. We had the absolute minimum tools with - a Leatherman, three screwdrivers, wrenches from 3/8" to 5/8", lineman pliers, dikes, and a hammer. We go to where this gem was located. Mind you, this is pre-Interwebz, where we had only four photographs and a description to go on. And it was a pretty nice car! Fluids check out. Tires have air. Glass is all good. The battery is five years old. Looks good to me! My friend pays the seller, and we are off. I'm driving his Duster, and he is in the SS.

Five miles down the road, the right-side muffler is dragging the ground. We stop and wire that up to the frame. One mile from the Interstate, the lower rad hose comes off at the water pump and spews coolant all over. The clamp is missing. We stop at the conveniently-locate O'Reillys, get what we need, and off we go. The car starts sputtering and quits. Gas gauge says a half-tank. The tank says otherwise. Time for gas! Off we go again. Just a few miles from OKC, a state trooper pulls him over, while I go up a half-mile to stop and wait. Says there is no tag on the car...what? The rear plate fell off the SS (plates stayed with the car in TX back then). He gets a ticket, despite the bill of sale and the title in the seller's name.

Home at last! It was a bit of an ordeal, but when you have a friend there with and share the pain, it really isn't all that bad to take a chance on picking up an old car and then drive it on home. He ended up detailing the hell out of the car, performed a tune-up on that 283, changed all the fluids, got new tires and wheels, and drove that for close to a year before selling it.

Fun days!!!

A couple of years ago after selling a '71 Superbee, I was looking for another project (don't know why). I had always liked the 'slab side' Chryslers so the hunt was on.

Looking at several I kept going back to a '65 Newport 4 door sedan. Why? I guess I remember them when I was a kid and they reminded me of my father who always drove 4 door sedans.
Anyway, I found one in Wisconsin, about 50 miles north of Milwaukee in a town named Waldo. A roughly 50K unmolested original. The owner of the lot seemed to be a straight-shooter as he accommodated my request for pics of the undercarriage.
Long story short I flew to Appleton (I live west of Toledo Ohio) where I was met and driven to the lot. The deal was made and now I was faced with getting my 'new' ride back to Ohio. As I flew up with only carry on luggage, there was no way I could take tools, so armed with a roll of electrical tape and duct tape I headed home.
Drove to Milwaukee, over-nighted, took the ferry across Lake Michigan to Muskegon MI. Drove from there to home. arriving in the afternoon.
The Newport performed flawlessly (except the the after-market radio was junk).
So, what do I take on road trips? Very little. a spare ballast resistor (glove box), a fuel filter (with tools) a 1/4 drive socket set. and a small set of 'Western Auto' wrenches that I bought years ago to replace a alternator on a '76 Aspen in Tennessee. and of course, duct and electrical tape. I do now take a small 'jump-box' to assist others.
Other than the Aspen, I never never been left stranded with a trusty Mopar.
Omni

Back